Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Virtual reality

gunner40sw

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I’ve been using the vr practical shooting app for about six weeks now. I’ve definitely seen improvement that translated over to matches and it really is more entertaining than dry fire 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

practisim is pretty decent, but for the quest 2 you'll need to run it on a dedicated gaming PC then use virtualdesktop to get it to run.  It's a STEAMvr title and not available in the quest store.  Lots of stages to play.  Aiming feels accurate enough.  Resolution and game mechanics (physics) are all decent.  I run an RTX3080 and ryzen 5800x on the host machine, for reference.

I've played it for the past few months.   Quest controllers aren't ideal as you can't really do a freestyle (2 handed) grip very realistically.  I end up putting my hands in sort of an upside-down T shape, with the right hand holding what would be the grip, and my left underneath at a 90 degree angle.  I am pretty sure you need to have both controllers   active to play.  Never tried just one.

Movement is a little clunky, but it tends to be with all VR titles.  You can walk within your play area (in the room you're using to play) but to move longer distances, you need to teleport using the joystick on the controller.  That's pretty unrealistic for practicing purposes.

For me, the target to target transitions and the stage planning are the most useful items in practisim.  The cool part is those are two of the slightly harder items to practice when dry firing.  transitions, yeah, you can do them, but with the game you actually get your hits scored, plus there's range commands and a timer.

In my opinion, if you already have a quest2 and a computer than can run practisim, absolutely give it a try.  If you don;t already have the prerequisite hardware, i would not really recommend buying it all just for this one game (sim).

Edited by nkresho

• 7 months later...