Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA MATCH OPEN GM

37 minutes ago, Furrly said:

Thanks man, I have an Akai in 9mm been on the fence about a 39SC open gun but the cost of brass and availability always comes up but yet we shell out 7k to 8k on these blasters 🤷

I've been using 9mm star line brass for the last six months and both my guns run very consistently. HS-6 is lower pressure and meters well. 38sc is a tiny bit flatter but doesn't necessarily make your skills better. .

47 minutes ago, Furrly said:

Thanks man, I have an Akai in 9mm been on the fence about a 39SC open gun but the cost of brass and availability always comes up but yet we shell out 7k to 8k on these blasters 🤷

i had a 9 major barrel cut for this akai, but the manufacturer removed too much material on the comp which cracked it, then wouldnt replace it, which also directly led to a cracked slide. 

there are great guns if you can get one without any major issues 

9 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

I've been using 9mm star line brass for the last six months and both my guns run very consistently. HS-6 is lower pressure and meters well. 38sc is a tiny bit flatter but doesn't necessarily make your skills better. .

if that tiny bit flatter leads to better follow ups on target it could make you better

but youre right i mean thats not going to be what holds anyone back at all

just like a 1.5 lb trigger vs a 2 lb trigger isnt going to be what wins stages and matches

18 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

the issue is the case space being so limited it leads to insane pressures 

Only if you are using the wrong powders and/or too short an OAL.  If you look at the VV loading manual in the 9x21 section you will see loads that make major within SAAMI specs.  Loading 9mm to 1.161" OAL gives you the same case capacity as a 9x21.  If you load long and use slower powders like AA7 or SWMP your pressures are low.  Somewhere in the standard to +P range.   I've been running 10.2gr SWMP under a 115 HAP or Zero for two years.  No issues with the load or the guns.  

11 minutes ago, zzt said:

Only if you are using the wrong powders and/or too short an OAL.  If you look at the VV loading manual in the 9x21 section you will see loads that make major within SAAMI specs.  Loading 9mm to 1.161" OAL gives you the same case capacity as a 9x21.  If you load long and use slower powders like AA7 or SWMP your pressures are low.  Somewhere in the standard to +P range.   I've been running 10.2gr SWMP under a 115 HAP or Zero for two years.  No issues with the load or the guns.  

does that major pistol make your gun dirty as all hell?

i have 16 lbs of it i bought spare when AA7 was impossible to find

32 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

if that tiny bit flatter leads to better follow ups on target it could make you better

but youre right i mean thats not going to be what holds anyone back at all

just like a 1.5 lb trigger vs a 2 lb trigger isnt going to be what wins stages and matches

Given your GM levels of shooting are you noticing the difference between 38sc vs 9mm. And if so what are you seeing as advantages of one over the other.. 

Thanks 

2 minutes ago, Furrly said:

Given your GM levels of shooting are you noticing the difference between 38sc vs 9mm. And if so what are you seeing as advantages of one over the other.. 

Thanks 

i like 38 sc because its flatter, and thats what im set up with. 

There was a time when i shot 9 major and i went back to 38 sc

Id say at like A class or above whichever one you use isnt going to be what makes you win or lose matches. 

i got 3rd overall shooting 38sc my buddy who shoots 9 major took high overall. 

Its all what you feel comfortable with and how much work you put into it. 

i will say whichever one you choose just make that your thing. practice with it. experiment with different loads and powders. i mean really put your all into learning the system

once you have learned the system its just a mental game of making the gun an extension of yourself

i will say tho like the brass cost is a major issue. 

I bought 50k 38sc brass at the beginning of 2020 so for me its easy to just leave brass and not pick it up or anything

not everyone is in my position. 

Paying .5 cents per round for 9mm brass is way easier, but keep in mind there's no such thing as 38 sc crimped brass meaning you never have to swage it

9 major  offers almost the same performance for a fraction of the price but you have to pay a little more attention the brass prep. 

i can literally shoot 38sc until the hull cracks and i have definitely shot like 10x fired brass before

with 9 major you dont have that option, if you are reloading you might get 2 or 3 times out of the same used brass. 

15 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

I bought 50k 38sc brass at the beginning of 2020 so for me its easy to just leave brass and not pick it up or anything

Paying .5 cents per round for 9mm brass is way easier, but keep in mind there's no such thing as 38 sc crimped brass meaning you never have to swage it

9 major  offers almost the same performance for a fraction of the price but you have to pay a little more attention the brass prep. 

i can literally shoot 38sc until the hull cracks and i have definitely shot like 10x fired brass before

with 9 major you dont have that option, if you are reloading you might get 2 or 3 times out of the same used brass. 

Thanks for all of your feedback it all makes sense.. 

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

does that major pistol make your gun dirty as all hell?

i have 16 lbs of it i bought spare when AA7 was impossible to find

No.  It burns clean as a whistle.  All I have t do is wipe the gun clean.  No scrubbing required.  The brass comes out so clean you could use it again without tumbling.  I read on these forums that there is some variability lot to lot.  So it is possible some of the slower lots burn dirtier.

If you don't like your SWMP I'd be glad to buy it from you.

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Why bother.  For 5 cents each I buy once-fired, same head stamp, fully processed brass.  I shoot it once and leave it.  Why take a chance.

Just now, zzt said:

No.  It burns clean as a whistle.  All I have t do is wipe the gun clean.  No scrubbing required.  The brass comes out so clean you could use it again without tumbling.  I read on these forums that there is some variability lot to lot.  So it is possible some of the slower lots burn dirtier.

If you don't like your SWMP I'd be glad to buy it from you.

Why bother.  For 5 cents each I buy once-fired, same head stamp, fully processed brass.  I shoot it once and leave it.  Why take a chance.

i agree with you 100%

its not worth picking up 9 major brass when its so cheap

5 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

i mean i did several weeks of load testing and dev and arrived at 168 pf with my 9 major load

the comp still cracked and so did the slide 

the issue is the case space being so limited it leads to insane pressures 

What powder?

4 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

I've got 10-12 reloads out my starline and federal 9 brass with HS-6. They can go far with slower powders

37 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

i was using 3n38 at first then went to AA7

maybe ill try hs6

Those are both great powders and low pressure. You were right about the manufacturer. He has a reputation of building guns that don't always hold up. I'm pretty certain that's where you slide and comp cracking came from. 

Was it a titanium comp By chance?

36 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Those are both great powders and low pressure. You were right about the manufacturer. He has a reputation of building guns that don't always hold up. I'm pretty certain that's where you slide and comp cracking came from. 

Was it a titanium comp By chance?

the first comp was yes

6 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

i was using 3n38 at first then went to AA7

maybe ill try hs6

Why bother.  It is faster than 3N38 and dirty.  If you like the feel of AA7, you will not like HS-6.  Also, it makes the dot wiggle on the three guns I tried it in.  With WAC, Silhouette and SWMP the dot tracks straight up and down.  Not so with HS-6.  I have no idea why.  The dot tracks straight with 3N38, but I can't fit enough in to make major with a 115 JHP.