Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Shooter He-man Div. Rifle Purchase Advise

hockeydadnu27

I am a 3gun shooter now in Open Div. want to play in He-man div. Looking for advise on rifle purchase. I am not comfortable with a 308 in AR rifle. I want to purchase a M1A SOCOM-16

I know they are a very reliable rifle in 308. need some feed back from the shooters who

actively shoot this rifle. We shoot out to 330 meters in our rifle matches, is 16" barrel good and accurate out to this range? A lot of our stages are close range, that why I picked 16" SOCOM. Please help me on my rifle choice for He-Man div.

thanks

I am not comfortable with a 308 in AR rifle. I want to purchase a M1A SOCOM-16

I dont understand? the AR platform IE AR10 is smoother, faster to change mags, less felt recoil, better ergeonomics, easyer to clean, and just a flat out better platform for a competition rifle?

I am not comfortable with a 308 in AR rifle. I want to purchase a M1A SOCOM-16

I dont understand? the AR platform IE AR10 is smoother, faster to change mags, less felt recoil, better ergeonomics, easyer to clean, and just a flat out better platform for a competition rifle?

We have a AR Rifle match every year at our club, over 100 shoooters 200-rounds.

I have watch more gun problems with the AR's. I watch M1A's shoot and shoot and then keep on shooting. I like the sights down low on the barrel also. I shoot alot in practice, 3gun and rifle matches. I know the M1A will hold up, but the AR in 308 ?????

Please tell me more info on the IE AR10 rifle. I shoot a JP CTR-02 and have had my problems- worn out 2-low mass bolts and 1-worn disconnector on my trigger. So shooting

the M1A compared to my JP will be like going from driving a sports car back to a Buick.

Thanks for your help.

Happy Thanks Giving!!

I have yet to see a reliable AR-10, and I've seen alot of them. I would bet that to change mags in an AR and an M-1A ( with the right technique ) is just the same or even a bit faster for the M-1A, I've made a bit of beer money proving that little known fact. Less recoil?? Not unless the laws of physiscs have been abandoned in this universe ( different direction and different feel but less?? no way). As to the SOCOM I have used one out to 350 yds no problem, the only thing it needs is a MUCH narrower front sight, which is hard to find. I think for reliability you just can't beat an M1A, Scout, SOCOM etc. The sights being low on the barrel do great things for up close work. I like the full size better because my old eyes need long sight radius but there is nothing wrong with a good Scout or SOCOM KURT

I agree with Kurt. I have a standard M1A and I'm sure that there is not a better gun for shooting irons out there. The scout is probably the best balence of length and speed for 3 gun, although there is nothing wrong with a standard length if you spend the time to learn how to move with it. They flat out run. Also, I think real life mag changes are faster with an m1a if you know what your doing.

Hockydadnu27,

I have a Scout/Squad I have been using for 3 years now.

The ONLY time it has failed me is when I was experimenting with home made 30 round mags !!!!!!!!!!

I have a scope on mine, but have played with it with only the irons.

If you put the sight on the target and squeeze the trigger(I have a bad habit of PULLING the trigger) I can hit my 8 inch plates at 300 yds every shot.

AND there is NO Doubt when you hit them :D

I have felt a SOCOM but have not shot it, to me it was really "pointy" Should make a good 3 gun platform.

I too like Kurt think the front sight is WAY TOO BIG !!!!

Good luck, enjoy your "Ratt rifle"

HOPALONG

Or you get an FAL!

If I was shooting an M1A in 3 gun, I think it would be a full sized one for the sight radius, especially for matches with longer shots. If I was shooting in matches where 200 yards was a long shot or handiness was extremely important ( North American Tactical), I might go with the SOCOM. And the SOCOM needs a FAR skinnier front sight. :D