Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions from someone new to Glocks

Igloodude

On 1/11/2022 at 9:27 PM, Mustang684 said:

Awhile back I ran a Glock 21 and 41 in limited division. I could only load 17 rounds in the mags but it was such a fun pistol. That big .45 hole made it easy to see the hits and the recoil was easy to control. As you get older it’s not just about what we logically think is the best gun/caliber, but what caliber allows you to see the hits 7-10 yards away, knocks down all the steel and puts a smile on your face even if you aren’t as competitive now..just my .02 on the 45 Glocks. 

Speaking of putting a smile on your face... thank you, this puts a smile on mine. And yeah another joy of major PF, there's never any issues about the steel plates' calibration. 😁

There’s nothing wrong with a 45, for a while that was just about all I shot in a 1911 and Revo. When I finally went and bought a 9mm Glock 34, I estimate that by shooting 9mm for the next 2 years I saved enough money in bullets to pay for the gun. At least that’s how I justified the purchase at the time. 

If memory serves me right, I think Taren Buttler made GM with a .45cal glock. I could be wrong. I used a glock for work and my first few years in IDPA and USPSA. Got some nice blisters and calluses from them. I can't imagine how my hands would have been if I shot .45 rather than 9mm from them. 

12 hours ago, AHI said:

Just a little opersavation. Large pistol primers have been more available .Than small pistol primers.

And that alone may be an excellent reason to shoot more .45 over the next year or so. 

My limited experience trying to load SWC and watching others is that SWC in the subcompact Glock .45s (30, 30S, 36) are an exercise in futility.  It'll work sometimes.  It'll fail to feed more often.  The 21 is far more tolerant of SWC.  Due to the RSA redesign, I'd say if you want to load minor PF .45, you're better off with a Gen3 gun.  I really like my Gen3 21SF.  I also have both the 30 and 30S and 41.  I'm toying with the idea of shooting the 41 in IDPA CDP.  I've been shooting 9mm (first a Gen4 19, then Gen3 17, and finally settled on my Gen3 34) in IDPA SSP for the past ~3 years.  If you don't want to risk the reliability issues with SWC, there are some reasonably wide flat round nose bullets in the ~200gr range that make nice big clean holes in cardboard.  My Gen3 21SF will function with stupid slow 230gr ball ammo (~600fps...I started with Universal and Hodgdon's data, and it was way too conservative...I don't intentionally load my ammo that weak).