Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Over clocked 686 barrel repair?

Cherokeewind

8 hours ago, Cherokeewind said:

But for a one time job, the frame wrenches aren't cheap........

Many have used a the wooden handle of a hammer.  The more critical part is holding the barrel in the vise so it doesn't get scratched up!

Any good Revolver Smith, TK, Clark, Pinnacle, Toolguy...

I have actually used that technique years ago to re barrel a Python and it worked well.

One concern for me is "Will the bbl. be tight enough after I back it out that 12,000th of an inch."

Actually, with the Python, I clamped the frame in a big vise, between two pieces of soft pine which were padded with towel material, and used a well padded wrench to remove the bbl. and replace with the shorter bbl.

Worked well with no problems. 

Edited by Cherokeewind

It is an inch divided into 1000 equal increments. It is expressed as a decimal as .001 or as a fraction as 1/1000. A sheet of copier paper is about .004 or 4/1000 of an inch thick.

Edited by Toolguy

11 hours ago, Toolguy said:

It is an inch divided into 1000 equal increments. It is expressed as a decimal as .001 or as a fraction as 1/1000. A sheet of copier paper is about .004 or 4/1000 of an inch thick.

It was a joke. An engineer I worked with told me that if I asked a bunch of people in our office, "how many thousandths are in an inch", I'd get a bunch of crazy answers.

So I did. I got, "I'm not good at math" , "I'd have to figure it out", and my favorite, " thousandths of what?" :)