Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is slide lightening CZ Shadow 2 worth it?

Dustin0827

I have a CZ shadow 2 that I'm having milled for an SRO. Is it only beneficial to lighten the slide to make weight for carry optics? What's the purpose behind lightening the front when you're adding weight to the rear other than to make a certain weight? To me it makes more sense to keep the weight on the front end and change recoil springs if need be. Thoughts?

Edited by Dustin0827

Ideally, you want the bottom of the gun heaviest and the slide lighter as it's the reciprocating mass. 

In 2011s 10-11 ounces in slide mass is the sought after number.

If it doesn't cost too much look into it but if it's more than a box of primers just buy those instead lol

I think lighter slide translates into less mass going back and forth during recoil, so in theory you have a snappier but flatter recoiling gun.  F4E milled my first Shadow 2 back in 2019 when the weight limit for CO was 45 oz resulting in a 44.1 oz total weight including optic and empty mag.  They take off quite a bit of weight along the top and front of the slide like you noted, but the optic cut itself also reduces a fair amount of weight that is not entirely replaced with the weight of the optic itself.  

With the new weight limit being 59 oz, if you’re just getting into it you could always just have the machine shop mill the slide for the SRO and forgo any slide lightening.  Later you could send it back for slide lightening if you felt like it was warranted.  

I had F4E do my second Shadow 2 the same as the first one despite doing it in 2020 when the weight limit changed.  My rationale was I wanted both guns to be the same even though it cost me a few extra benjamins.

53 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Ideally, you want the bottom of the gun heaviest and the slide lighter as it's the reciprocating mass. 

In 2011s 10-11 ounces in slide mass is the sought after number.

If it doesn't cost too much look into it but if it's more than a box of primers just buy those instead lol

Appreciate the info. I could buy a ton of primers for the difference so primers it is! Haha

55 minutes ago, 2MoreChains said:

I think lighter slide translates into less mass going back and forth during recoil, so in theory you have a snappier but flatter recoiling gun.  F4E milled my first Shadow 2 back in 2019 when the weight limit for CO was 45 oz resulting in a 44.1 oz total weight including optic and empty mag.  They take off quite a bit of weight along the top and front of the slide like you noted, but the optic cut itself also reduces a fair amount of weight that is not entirely replaced with the weight of the optic itself.  

With the new weight limit being 59 oz, if you’re just getting into it you could always just have the machine shop mill the slide for the SRO and forgo any slide lightening.  Later you could send it back for slide lightening if you felt like it was warranted.  

I had F4E do my second Shadow 2 the same as the first one despite doing it in 2020 when the weight limit changed.  My rationale was I wanted both guns to be the same even though it cost me a few extra benjamins.

Awesome. I'll start with just the SRO and see how it shoots. I'm going to do some trigger work to it instead of lightening the slide for now. Only down side is another 3-4 week wait if I send it back. I'm using this pistol for local matches and Tactical Game events so I won't have them mill windows in it regardless. Not sure how much weight it takes off of the slide without milling the windows in the front.  

My guess is it’ll shoot just fine without the slide lightening.  Once the weight limit was increased the Shadow 2 OR became available (and allowed) that does not have any slide lightening cuts and it shoots pretty good as is.  

My guess is the slide lightening cuts alone take off 2-3 oz.

The goal when slide mounting a dot is to make sure enough material is removed so the slide weighs the same or slightly less after mounting.  If not, slide action will be slower, and so will double taps.  If you make weight with the new setup, I'd leave it there.  Lightening the slide further will increase slide speed, require a different recoil spring, and stress the dot more.

You really want to look out for that with a slide mounted dot.  You want the slide to travel all the way back under recoil, but not so fast it slams into the stop.    Remember, you only need enough dwell time to let the next round come up into position to be stripped.  Experiment with recoil spring weights to see which returns the dot to the same spot the quickest.  The rule of thumbs is if the dot returns and it it higher than the point of aim, you need a heavier spring.  If lower you need a lighter spring.

On 12/29/2021 at 9:51 AM, zzt said:

The goal when slide mounting a dot is to make sure enough material is removed so the slide weighs the same or slightly less after mounting.  If not, slide action will be slower, and so will double taps.  If you make weight with the new setup, I'd leave it there.  Lightening the slide further will increase slide speed, require a different recoil spring, and stress the dot more.

You really want to look out for that with a slide mounted dot.  You want the slide to travel all the way back under recoil, but not so fast it slams into the stop.    Remember, you only need enough dwell time to let the next round come up into position to be stripped.  Experiment with recoil spring weights to see which returns the dot to the same spot the quickest.  The rule of thumbs is if the dot returns and it it higher than the point of aim, you need a heavier spring.  If lower you need a lighter spring.

Appreciate the information! When I get my slide back I’ll do exactly that and go based off of the stock weight I have marked down to see if there’s a difference! 

On 12/28/2021 at 7:31 PM, 2MoreChains said:

My guess is it’ll shoot just fine without the slide lightening.  

that has been my experience with a stock S2. fwiw, I do tend to prefer lighter slides on 1911's and 2011s, for quicker cycling and less muzzle-dip as the slide goes forward, but my s2 shoots like it already has a pretty light slide, so I don't see a reason to change it with the new weight limit (unless you try someone else's and fall in love with it).