Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case lube for neck sizing only.

DIYguy

Circling back to my semi-precision 223 which has been getting lonely in the safe while I played with other calibers. I have a couple hundred Hornady 223 cases that are prepped, case mouths chamferd and beveled and primed ready to load. Have another couple hundred brand new Hornady cases. The already prepped and primed cases where done over a year ago using Hormady dies. Since then I have changed all my dies to Redding Match S dies and Competition Seating dies. What I'm finding is the neck tension is inconsistent in all the prepped cases and I'm getting pretty big SD numbers.  All my other calibers using the Redding dies are low single digit SDs. I've just switched over to the Redding for the 223 also so Match S die for full length sizing. This is for all my brass going forward but still have a lot of completed cases. The same Redding set has the option of a neck sizing die with bushing or the full length die with bushing. What I'm wondering is... is it worth using a neck sizing die without the decappng pin and rerun all the prepped brass to uniform the necks. Also, for a neck only die that is not supposed to resize the body do I need lube? If I don't have to lube the cases thinking of re-running all the prepped and new brass just to fix the necks. When I measured the brand new Hornady brass the neck OD measured .247 with a wall thickness of .01165

I have graphite if I wanted to neck lube, what I don't want to do is case lube as I typically vibrate tumble to polish my brass and clean the lube. As this is already done do not want to lube again. Haven't ordered the die yet and debating if it is worth the extra die since I have the full length S die.

If they are already sized you may be able to get away with no lube beings their already close. On fired cases I use either Imperial wax or the Redding dry neck lube. I think it’s a moly base in a cup with ceramic beads. Works great and easy with hardly any clean up.