Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

750 Rph On Sdb?

I've been experimenting with technique and ergonomics in loading on the SDB, and timing "splits" of how long it takes to load 100 rounds from the 'ready' position: primers in the tube, brass and bullets at hand, and shellplate empty.

So far I'm turning 8:00's out pretty consistently, with a couple 7:50's, loading .40S&W. It's like the 3 bears -- this cartridge seems "just right" on the SDB. I could *maybe* speed this up by working the arm more quickly, but I'm trying to speed everything up BUT the motion of the arm; that I want smooth and steady, and I like feeling the primer seat.

I've discovered that the biggest time eater, at least for me on the SDB, is putting the empty case into the shellplate at station #1, since your hand has to leave the arm, pick up a case, align it and insert it. While you're working the arm, of course, the left hand has all the time in the world to grab a bullet, orient it, and have it ready to seat the moment the arm stops.

Anyway. I've taken to putting a bunch of cases in a plastic bag, spraying with One-Shot, shaking, then lining them up on some large ceramic tiles I have, from a tiling project. I put 100 on each, case opening up, and put this tile on some stacked milk crates, so it's at waist-level. I hate this extra time to prep the cases, but it's much faster, when actually loading, than picking up cases lying loose in a box, and having to orient them.

I'd like to time a full hour, but don't have enough primer tubes: I only have 3, so I can load 400 at a shot (fill and dump one tube, first). With my cases ready on the tiles, my first and only attempt at 400 straight was around 38 minutes. That included weighing a charge in the middle, as a QC check, and a couple of minor jams.

So I'm thinking this is reasonably quick; about as fast as you can effectively load an SDB, and I'm not sure where I could otherwise pick up time. Anyone else have any times that are significantly faster? I'd love to know if it's possible to turn out > 700 rph. I still crave an XL650 with case-feeder, but....

My times are not faster.

I'll say my "cycling" rate is the same in ACP, i.e. 100 rounds in 8 minutes. That's using One Shot lube.

But, I can't keep that pace up and more importantly, I have found that speed causes more errors...for me anyway. Meaning priming problems, case not completely in station and mashing the brass, powder flying etc. My machine is old though, but I'm not convinced the auto cycling of the SDB is "up" for that speed for long IMHO.

I've settled down in the 400-500 range. :)

Edited by Irishlad

My times are not faster.

I'll say my "cycling" rate is the same in ACP, i.e. 100 rounds in 8 minutes. That's using One Shot lube.

But, I can't keep that pace up and more importantly, I have found that speed causes more errors...for me anyway. Meaning priming problems, case not completely in station and mashing the brass, powder flying etc. My machine is old though, but I'm not convinced the auto cycling of the SDB is "up" for that speed for long IMHO.

I've settled down in the 400-500 range. :)

That makes sense. I just finished loading up 5k rounds, over the last few days, and think 8min/100 is pretty close to There, and not a pace that can be sustained. 9min/100 however, is pretty comfortable, and to do that, I don't need to bother with setting up all the cases right side up on a piece of tile -- I can just fish 'em out of a shallow cardboard box, after spraying them with One-Shot and shaking.

I like R/T's tip of hanging the cases next to the loaded bin; economy of motion. Nice.

What worked best for me, ultimately, was doing 300 in 30 minutes, taking a break, coming back an hour later, knocking out another 300, etc. Case-gauging and putting 'em is still a hateful, slow job, however. Good music, or a football game on the radio, is a must! :)

So I am curious I have been loading all my cases polished and tumbled.But no lube does the one shot help that much?

Who all sells it?

I tumble and sort all my brass into folders coffe cans the new plastic ones are great.

Then hand full around a 100 into the akro bin and away I go useally I do most on Sunday while grilling stakes for dinner.

So every 10-15 I get up and flip.

You can get lube from Dillon or One Shot at most sporting goods stores. With Carbide Dies I've never had the need to use the lube.

You must like your steak well done....

Radio is o.k. in the loading room but I avoid TV or letting anyone talk to me during reloading. Just one of my quirks.

I also hang an Akrobin to the bin that catches the loaded rounds. I also grab a fist full of bullets, holding several at a time. That eliminates going to the box of bullets every time. I have 6 pickup tubes so I save time there. Plus my daughter loves to fill them. So every so often she comes and fills the empty tubes. I can load about 900-1000 an hour. I have had a 550B and XL-650. I have never really loaded with them any faster. The 550B was actually slower in my opinion. And the 650 was marginally faster. I even tumble the live rounds afterwards! I like 'em shiny!! B) It also takes off the Hornady One Shot lube off and I feel they feed better as well. IMHO

In short- I love my 'lil SDB :wub:

Edited by Rocket35

I love my SDB too, and, with ten available filled primer tubes, can also do 700+ rounds an hour. But I also agree that the quality suffers for trying to go fast. 500 to 600 an hour is a comfortable and sustainable pace for the length of time I am willing to reload for (1 to 2 hours), and the ammo is more consistent. I go a bit slower for match ammo, and a bit faster for practice ammo.

If the set up allows a comfortable higher rate of production (basically an autoindexing press with a case feeder) then great, but, unlike some, I don't really find loading a burdensome chore to be done as quickly as possible, so the SDB's production rate is fine for the amount of shooting I do (1 to 2K rounds down range in a typical month).

Mis dos centavos,

Kevin C.

You folks are fast. My steady rate is 500 rounds an hour at most. But I've got 14 filled primer tubes and will load at that rate until the tubes need to be filled. I've got a TV on when I load, but I rarely glance at it. I usually just listen to whatever is on the History channel.

Loaded rounds go in big acrobins for final inspection, marking, or I might run them through a FCD. I store loaded rounds in gallon containers, so there is little boxing. I usually fill up three 100 round MTM boxes before a match, but it doesn't take a lot of effort to fill those.

I've got 3 SDBs and don't plan on trading them in any time soon.

I am up to 3 sdb's and a 550. I prefer the sdb over the 550 any day. I am pretty comfortable doing about 600 or so an hour maybe a little more if I am in a hurry.

I run 9mm's on one, .38 super on one(shortly converting to .40) and the last one is for 38 special.