Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TC vs FN

Farmer

Just wondering if anyone has noticed any accuracy difference between TC bullets and Flat Nose of the same weight. I sort of figured that the main reason for both is for feeding solutions and seating depth, but the two different nose designs also changes bearing length to some degree. The reason I ask is that I have a pistol that scatters TC’s but a FN shoots just fine. So anyone else noticed this?

That is unusual.  It may be your OAL on the TCs is incorrect, causing the bullet to hit the bottom edge of the feed ramp, deforming it.  Before you draw any conclusions, magic marker the feed ramp and see where the bullets are landing.  It should be about half way up.

5 hours ago, zzt said:

That is unusual.  It may be your OAL on the TCs is incorrect, causing the bullet to hit the bottom edge of the feed ramp, deforming it.  Before you draw any conclusions, magic marker the feed ramp and see where the bullets are landing.  It should be about half way up.

I guess I didn’t state that right. 
The only problem that I’ve had with TC bullets was that they were not as accurate as a RN or FN profile and wondered if anyone else has the same issue. Never have had a feeding problem with any of my CF guns but if that was the main reason for the TC profile, or is it more to do with short throats? Sorry for any confusion. 

3 hours ago, Farmer said:

I guess I didn’t state that right. 
The only problem that I’ve had with TC bullets was that they were not as accurate as a RN or FN profile and wondered if anyone else has the same issue. Never have had a feeding problem with any of my CF guns but if that was the main reason for the TC profile, or is it more to do with short throats? Sorry for any confusion. 

You stated is right.  I was suggesting a possible cause of the inaccuracy was a problem with OAL.  Feeding 100% does not mean the bullet is not being deformed.  The Flat Points are hitting the ramp on their rounded side.  The TCs are hitting on the edge of the flat.  It's worth considering.

FWIW, I've never had accuracy issues with TCs.  In fact, that was all I shot in 9 and 40 when I could get them.  Same with 45, but I do also shoot FPs in 45, especially for pin matches.  The only time I've had a problem with TCs was in my PCC.  I switched to RN and that problem was solved.

yes I have  noticed that FN bullets are more accurate. Than RN. In addition RN tend to be more accurate than TC.

But I believe this to be some what caliber related. In 9mm as stated before. In 10mm TC tend to be more accurate 

than RN. In 45acp SWC are hands down.The most  accurate. With no real difference between RN and TC.