Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP-01 Competition Red & Blue

SuperKing

So, I stumbled across this on reddit: CZ-USA's New SP-01 Competition Red & Blue Pistols -The Firearm Blog and I did find the product page on CZ's site although I no longer see it. 

CZ has decided to release competition version versions of the SP-01 with lighter springs, different sights, steel recoil spring guide rod, CZ factory comp hammer and some aluminum grips.

This seems like a CZC or CGW done up SP-01 but at a higher price? And I feel like a SP-01 Shadow would be a better value anyways...

Some folks like the “security” of a firing pin block. I don’t really care, nor am I a pro enough shooter to feel the difference in the trigger. 

CZ has always had a eye on the SP-01 but it wasn’t for the competition market. When they made the SP-01 Shadow, the competition hammer that comes with it is wider than a regular SP-01. I’d say right after, CZ started making a thin hammer for the regular SP-01s. It’s been awhile since the SP-01 got a refresh, anyways. 

Edited by SouperMan
Typo

3 hours ago, SouperMan said:

Some folks like the “security” of a firing pin block.

There's at least one life I know it would have saved.  The safety layer a FPB provides is not "theoretical".

The slight reduction in reset length that can be achieved in a CZ without it is inconsequential to anyone who knows how to shoot.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

4 hours ago, SuperKing said:

This seems like a CZC or CGW done up SP-01 but at a higher price? And I feel like a SP-01 Shadow would be a better value anyways...

I agree that a basic SP-01 with a CZC or CGW internals and some elbow grease is a better value.  The grips they come with are junk anyway.  I know because I have a pair.  They should just have put on thin LOK Bogies and called it a day.

I disagree that any Shadow would be.  I refuse to use a pistol without a firing pin block.  There's an RO in New York who would be alive today if the pistol that killed him when it hit the ground and fired would have had one.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

As a new CZ Shadow 2 Orange owner that's competing in USPSA Production, one of my deciding factors for purchasing the S2 platform was the results of the 2020 Equipment Survey's Production class:

https://s3.uspsa.io/media/Survey_Results.pdf

If my plans work out, I hope to also compete in CO during 2022 with another Shadow variant even though the Sig's are currently dominating.

👍

2 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

If my plans work out, I hope to also compete in CO during 2022 with another Shadow variant even though the Sig's are currently dominating.

The gun matters a hell of a lot less than what the Dunning-Kruger crowd thinks it does.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

15 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

The gun matters a hell of a lot less than what the Dunning-Kruger crowd thinks it does.

It’s important to note that Dunning and Kruger never claimed to show that the unskilled think they’re better than the skilled; that’s just the way the finding is often interpreted by others.

CZ has a good idea trying to make a competition ready FPB pistol , but the price is a little high for a pistol without an optic cut. Also the mags are useless for production so including the extended mags without an optic cut is kind of pointless. I love my SP01 though they are great pistols. 

17 minutes ago, Lightj75 said:

CZ has a good idea trying to make a competition ready FPB pistol , but the price is a little high for a pistol without an optic cut. Also the mags are useless for production so including the extended mags without an optic cut is kind of pointless. I love my SP01 though they are great pistols. 

Those are really good points.  And amazing that they can be so tone deaf when they have knowledgeable competitors in their shooting team.

As I mentioned to someone else on a similar question about a weird S&W 686 model, it seems that some of these "competition" pistols are invented by people who have no clue about the intended market.

19 hours ago, SouperMan said:

Some folks like the “security” of a firing pin block. I don’t really care, nor am I a pro enough shooter to feel the difference in the trigger. 

I think we tend to take the non FPB guns, install extended firing pins, install reduced power firing pin springs, shoot the softest primers we can find, and then blame the manufacturer when the modified gun is no longer drop safe. Having owned both versions, I agree that the trigger on the FPB guns can be excellent. 

I don't even care about it having a block, but the fact that it has a firing pin retaining pin which is known to break on top of having non grippy aluminum grips, extensions for a gun that can't use them in production and no optic cut and all at $1300?

Just no.

Edited by SuperKing

28 minutes ago, SuperKing said:

I don't even care about it having a block, but the fact that it has a firing pin retaining pin which is known to break on top of having non grippy aluminum grips, extensions for a gun that can't use them in production and no optic cut and all at $1300?

Just no.

Totally agree except on the FP retaining pin.  They don't break from normal use.  They break from monster amounts of dry fire without some cushion like a snap cap in the chamber or something soft over the back of the firing pin. 

1 hour ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Totally agree except on the FP retaining pin.  They don't break from normal use.  They break from monster amounts of dry fire without some cushion like a snap cap in the chamber or something soft over the back of the firing pin. 

Mine started cracking before I replaced it after 3000 rounds and dry fire with a snapcap. Decided to check it while looking at extractor and TRS. Stock pin and it was indexed wrong from factory. 

Edited by SuperKing

59 minutes ago, SuperKing said:

Mine started cracking before I replaced it after 3000 rounds and dry fire with a snapcap. Decided to check it while looking at extractor and TRS. Stock pin and it was indexed wrong from factory. 

Well you can't expect improperly installed parts to last as long as they should.

1 hour ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Well you can't expect improperly installed parts to last as long as they should.

Just like you argue that the gun should have a FPB, I am arguing that it shouldn't have a FPRP. It's a failure point that shouldn't be there regardless of what instigates the failure; improper install, design flaw etc.

If the problem with the FPRP is that it was installed improperly than the problem with the non existent FPB is someone messed with it with an extended firing pin and light springs. 

Edited by SuperKing

18 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

No one knows that the pistol that killed an RO was so modified. 

Somebody knows, but I can't find the information either. Seems very strange that this much of a basic detail would not be shared.