Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rimfire Rifle Irons

aSaltTaco

First time poster, long time reader. Awesome forum!  I’m looking for information on iron sights for steel challenge and what the consensus is on the “best” setup for speed in for rimfire rifle. I’m looking to spec out a new build for my son who is a SASP youth shooter. He loves irons. Currently he’s running a 10/22 sporter barrel in a Blackhawk Axiom with Williams fiber front and barrel mounted peep/ghost ring. Likely moving over to a 10/22 chassis with a lightweight barrel (Wiland or Taccom)and looking at the sight options out there. There doesn’t appear to be much information for iron sight setups that I can find and I’m looking to see if anyone has any knowledge to share.  From what I see it looks like the options are either open sights with a short sight radius or receiver mounting a peep/ghost ring for a longer sight radius. Any advice is much appreciated. 

For irons on a 10/22 platform I'm a fan of Wiland barrel and sights combos.  I use a notch, and I have it 'close' to my eye giving a longer radius.  Why?  dunno.  Cuz that's where I put it?  I've tried it forward on the receiver and for me it made no difference.  My preference is for a notch style or half peep/ghost - I find that a full peep/ghost ring gives me the feeling that some of my vision is being cut off and it is VERY distracting to me.  He makes a few different options for rear sight blade.  I used 'green' loctite on the front sight once I had it to the height I wanted (retaining compound) so the blade doesn't move around.  If you get an EGW extended rail you can mount the sight pretty much as far forward or reward as you like and experiment a bit until you get it the way you like it best.

Sight radius matters very little. I got to handle a Wiland setup at last weekend's match and I was really impressed. The sight picture was excellent, with the rear aperture being an appropriate size for mounting forward on the receiver. Very easy to pick up and chase through transitions. 

I used a stock T/CR22 to get my GM, but the Wiland sizing is just right for steel challenge. It was significantly easier to use. 

Edited by Xanatos903

I am in the process of building a dedicated RFRI for next year.  I am going with the Wiland setup: chassis, barrel and sights.  I am using the large ghost ring mounted on the rail.  I mounted mine forward on the rail as that it where it seemed to work the best for me.  I tried all the way to the rear for a longer sight radius but found I was a little too inaccurate.  I might switch the rear blade to a different option just to test.

For me and my style I had the rear sight as low as it would go but found myself shooting too high.  Raised the front sight up so that the top of the slots were just visible.  That seems to get me where I needed to be for Steel Challenge accuracy

for those looking to get started with something like a SW15-22 or CMMG conversion on an AR...( which I use).. the Striplin fiber optic flip up fits a 1913 rail... I use the OEM carry handle large aperture sight... just starting to work with it, and I think the idea of an open pistol blade might be a good option... regards

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I really appreciate it. Based on the replies it looks like the consistent theme is more forward set sights with a shorter overall sight radius with the majority preferring a ghost ring type or even half ghost. I took a look at Wiland and I really like the interchangeable inserts. Originally I was considering a LPA Picatinny rear sight base with a shotgun ghost ring aperture and the Wiland fiber optic front but I think I’m sold on the Wiland rear now.  That’ll allow us to fine tune his sight picture to him. Are there any others worth considering?  

Also, hadn’t considered Fiber Optic AR height sights like the last poster mentioned for different platforms, but anyone try this on a 10/22?  Seems like it could work and give a more heads up shooting position. 

On 11/1/2021 at 6:46 PM, aSaltTaco said:

First time poster, long time reader. Awesome forum!  I’m looking for information on iron sights for steel challenge and what the consensus is on the “best” setup for speed in for rimfire rifle. I’m looking to spec out a new build for my son who is a SASP youth shooter. He loves irons. Currently he’s running a 10/22 sporter barrel in a Blackhawk Axiom with Williams fiber front and barrel mounted peep/ghost ring. Likely moving over to a 10/22 chassis with a lightweight barrel (Wiland or Taccom)and looking at the sight options out there. There doesn’t appear to be much information for iron sight setups that I can find and I’m looking to see if anyone has any knowledge to share.  From what I see it looks like the options are either open sights with a short sight radius or receiver mounting a peep/ghost ring for a longer sight radius. Any advice is much appreciated. 

Wiland has a great chassis with open sight options for the 10 22 that are the best available.  

I wanted my Wiland RFRO and RFRI guns to be as nearly identical as I could, so I followed Jeff Johnston's trick and used PCC-height iron sights.

By doing so, the fiber optic is the exact same height as the Cmore on the RFRO gun.

This makes both guns feel the same, and look the same to the eye when switching back and forth.

They're even more identical now than when this pic was taken.

I, uh... may have the 11oz stainless barrel shown in this photo "available" real soon as I have a new black version on the way...

B2CC1DEC-19F9-4E1A-9C21-05A382892186.jpeg

I’m really digging that last setup with PCC height sights.  That’s something I hadn’t considered and appears to mimic AR sight height.  All in all it looks like the best thing is get the Wiland and then play around with different sight combos to find the winner.  

• 1 month later...
On 12/31/2021 at 4:33 PM, aSaltTaco said:

In follow up, we just got the rifle built and the PCC height sights are the ticket. In case anyone is curious about the setup I’ve attached an image. Thanks again for all the advice!

DDE65D7F-BFD5-42EB-8EC9-7599E6A35B3D.jpeg

Very nice! Looks nearly identical to mine -which i copied from a friend.

I know a lot of people in Georgia that are running the exact same setup...

9 hours ago, BentAero said:

Very nice! Looks nearly identical to mine -which i copied from a friend.

I know a lot of people in Georgia that are running the exact same setup...

I'm waiting on my PCC sights to see if that does the trick for me as well.