Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40/10 Mags

tomjerry1

For ALL you Limited 10 shooters out there, I'm looking for suggestions on mags for 40 S&W long that hold 10 rounds. I like the CMC or Wilson in my 45, would like something comparable in 40? Seems like the 10mm mag is the only option, but everything I see is 9 rds? is there a base pad that will allow the additional rd?

40L often runs okay in a 45 mag. Some people are using 47D's for their .40 guns. Have you tried just loading 10 into your 10rd 45 mags?

I have Tripp 10R-40SW-RG's but they're for factory length 40.  I can take a picture of relative tube lengths between Tripp 45 cobra mags, Tripp 10 round 40 mags, and Wilson 10rd 45 mags, if you wish.

I have the Tripp mags, and they work with 40L rounds. My loads are 1.185" and have no problems. The problem is that 10 rounds in it are very tight, and not easy to insert a full mag with the slide closed. And there are no basepads that are deeper that would still fit the box.

What I have is Tripp 10R-40SW-RG, they started life a 40SW, and had a spacer for the shorter 40. I have removed the spacers, and the crimps to hold the spacers in( there were no 10mm available). I contacted Tripp, and got some new followers and springs, just got my pistol back from the smith, went to try it out today, gun runs great, mags not so much. The top two rounds will go straight into the ramp, after that, they seem to run fine. I tried the fixes that I used on my 45ACP, no luck, increased the angle of the follower and opened up he feed lips towards the front of the mag to try and get the top rounds to stand up more, to no avail. My rounds are 1.78 to 1.84" long, work well in my limited pistol. Hollow point and flat round nose. I have tried CMC 45 ACP mags with spotty success, haven't tried forming them tho, are for the 45. I will give them another try?

54 minutes ago, tomjerry1 said:

What I have is Tripp 10R-40SW-RG...

That's a dedication to the project I wouldn't have. Wish I had better guidance for you.

Is your limited gun also picky? I just ordered a new to me limited gun and my fingers are crossed that it runs with factory length ammo so I don't need to adjust my dies and keep track of reloads.

7 minutes ago, konkapot said:

I'm a minority, but my sstk mags always always ran. I ran 47Ds from the start. Other than occasional L10, though, never pushed for 10 rounds. 

.40sw in 47Ds or is your SS a .45?

I've had no trouble with 8 rounds of .40 in the the 47FX, but I haven't pursued 10 rounds of 40L like tomjerry1.

Well I shoot Limited 10, sooo, I try to get there. I have no problem with the CMC mags in my 45. I've wanted a 40 for a while and finally pulled the trigger, I could use a smaller capacity mag, but that kind if defeats Limited 10. I'll get there, just need to find the right mag and base combo. It is amazing that none of the mag or pistol manufactures have made one, 10mm is pretty popular, more bullets is always better!

Don't let the picture of the revolver fool you, I routinely shoot open, it is fun. I got talked into the revolver, just got it shooting right and used it in a couple of club matches. I can see the hook, but don't know if I'll bite, or just nibble.

1 hour ago, konkapot said:

@belus47Ds in .40. Always ran with short or long ammo. Vaguely remember needing to do 9+1 for something (IDPA?) and worked great as well. 

Thanks. I just wanted to confirm we were all on the same topic. I'm glad you hear you had a positive experience with .40 in 47Ds. They're cheap and readily available and it's good for people to know the option.