Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sketchup, Trident and Other Headaches

NETim

Trident Stage designer no longer wants to save my stages.   I went ahead and emailed them but I expect no response, like usual.    I've about had it with them.

On the other hand, I've been trying to get Sketchup up and running but it appears that 2017 Make is the last free version.  Unfortunately, the USPSA files available on 3D warehouse apparently are not compatible with 2017.   I must upgrade to a newer version the error message tells me.   I'm not sure I want to spend club $$$$ on a s/w that I may or may not get comfortable with.   The learning curve with SU appears to be long and bloody.   I like easy.   Running matches already has enough built in headaches.   I don't need any more.

Any ideas? 

TIA!

I just did an experiment. I downloaded a stage model from the 3D Warehouse (in 2021 format), read it into SketchUp Web and then downloaded it back to my computer. The download menu gives you the option of saving the file in 2017 format. 😉

49 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I just did an experiment. I downloaded a stage model from the 3D Warehouse (in 2021 format), read it into SketchUp Web and then downloaded it back to my computer. The download menu gives you the option of saving the file in 2017 format. 😉

I tried that but the d/l menu didn't give that option.  I'm using an iMac so maybe that's the difference?  

3 minutes ago, NETim said:

I tried that but the d/l menu didn't give that option.  I'm using an iMac so maybe that's the difference?  

This is the dialog box that pops up with download (PC Windows 10):

image.png.a135fd8f5dbc9f81f2ae5bfa39419c8e.png

I guess Mac's are special... 

1 hour ago, NETim said:

I have been sorely tempted to pick one of those kits up.  

They are worth it and ZERO learning curve. They are printed to scale so it allows us to plan stages and put them on the ground exactly as they were planned. You can debug your stages for the most part without ever going to the range. IMO software is a waste of time at this point.

3 minutes ago, Bagellord said:

@NETim here's a link to my prop file and a bay template: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1awnyCgUuiX9OPjr-7Dix1ttK-We2Mdcg/view?usp=sharing

I used this video playlist from a friend of mine to learn sketchup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly67aFXmVLU&list=PLko75SypZnbHlOAYzu6y9pCD3UQeEv5T5

Cool!  Thanks!! 

I have a feeling that learning Sketchup might be a good wintertime project.

Just now, NETim said:

Cool!  Thanks!! 

I have a feeling that learning Sketchup might be a good wintertime project.

You're welcome! I really like sketchup, it's very powerful. You get the same ability as the 3d kits, but you have the power to copy and paste similar layouts and to edit past designs far more easily.

I strongly recommend having two windows open - one to the prop file, the other to your active stage, and copy and paste assets into the stage. My bay templates are marked as read only for me in my system so that I can just save a new copy for each stage.