Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL for Shadow 2

Stafford

Looking at purchasing some softer shooting ammo online as I don't reload. From what I've read here, ammo for CZ's should have an OAL of 1.13 or lower. I think this mainly applies to 147 grain, but not really sure. I typically fun factory 115 grain of all sorts and have never had issues and have never considered the OAL before.

Ammo 1 is 147 grain remanufactured with an OAL of 1.145 - so I'm guessing I should stay away from this or it likely will have issues in my S2.

Ammo 2 is 151 grain with an OAL of 1.117 - so I'm guessing this should run in my CZ's

Any thoughts on this. I'm really out of my element here. 

It depends not just on your barrel but also hugely on the shape of the bullet.  Even two bullets that are both round-nose and both the same weight can have very different shapes and means they have to be loaded to very different OALs.

I have an SP-01 with an really short throat.  I can load 147gn Berry's or Xtreme round-nose at 1.155" (and they'll be fine out to 1.165").  On the other hand, there's a 124gn round-nose bullet that I can only load to 1.100".  There are 124gn flat-point bullets that I can only load to 1.020".  There are other 124gn flat-points I can load a 1.090".  It's all about the shape of the bullet.  In general, the 'pointier' a bullet is, the longer an OAL you can get before it'll start touching the rifling.

in my czs--I have made ammo  that is a COAL of 1.140" and they all load and fire fine.

above  1.142"  they  jam  my A01 SD

I use  124gr fmj round nose bullets and  3.8 gr of titegroup these days

I  suggest making some dummy rounds befor eyou load ammo for that gun. it is well worth the effort to get it right--ask me how I know

Edited by boatdoc173

Paltrypoultry pretty much covered everything but one thing I've noticed with my CZ SP01 is that it will run most FMJ or plated RN ammo at longer OAL than Coated. I reload and went through a few different manufacturers  of Hitek coated projectiles before I found a few that would work. I have never tried federal syntech but I haven't heard of many people having trouble with it.