Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL 1100, does the primer slide and assembly need to be installed when processing brass?

I just took apart my RL 1100 to clean it before reassembling it to switch from loading to processing.  I'm wondering if I even need to put the primer slide and primer tube on the press if I'm only going to be processing brass?  Just depriming, swaging, then sizing.

Since I'll clean the press before switching back to loading ammo I figure I can put it back on at that time.

Will it work???

53 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

That’s exactly what I do to minimize wear on the parts that are not required for processing. Then I install them after the processing maintenance cycle. 

Nice, glad to hear that. 
Thanks. 

LIkewise. Including the tappet and the primer punch assembly.

Not necessary perhaps but that is when I do a deep cleaning of the top end and once again prior to reassembly.

Makes more sense when you are processing/loading in 5k or more batches.

21 minutes ago, ddc said:

LIkewise. Including the tappet and the primer punch assembly.

Not necessary perhaps but that is when I do a deep cleaning of the top end and once again prior to reassembly.

Makes more sense when you are processing/loading in 5k or more batches.

DDC,

what is a “tappet and primer punch assembly”?

43 minutes ago, Cuz said:

DDC,

what is a “tappet and primer punch assembly”?

The tappet (12995)  is what the primer push rod (12819) pushes on which in turn pushes on the rocker arm (13058) which in turn pushes on the primer punch, large or small, different part numbers. Along with the punch is the spring and the bushing (also different part numbers) You could also take the rocker arm off if you were OCD'ish... lol.

Basically just rip everything primer related off the press, process a whole sh#tloadbunch of brass, then clean and lube the press, then put it all back on.

You certainly don't have to do it that way but I figure if I'm going to disassemble and clean following my processing pass and prior to my loading pass why not do it all up front. None of the primer related stuff needs to be there when only processing brass.

Got it, thanks. It didn’t occur to me to leave those parts off too. Maybe I’ll do that when I get home, I don’t think anything else has to get undone in order to remove them. Might as well save 5,000 compressions of wear on that spring.