Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Orthos XR-12

Bw3375

I've scoured the forums for any information on this semi-auto shotgun I came across at my local gun store. 

It's an Orthos XR-12. I'm looking for any feedback anyone has, since I cannot find anything online about the shotgun. 

I'm interested in switching from Tac-Ops to Open in 3 Gun, and thus shotgun seems to good to be true, as I'm sure it is. 

Still, for the price, I need to see if there is anyone out there with experience with this shotgun,

Thanks,

Brandon

Screenshot_20210804-201516_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Bw3375
Added picture

That's a Tigris XR12 pro!

Apparently they have started to sell them in the US now, but under a different name for some reason...

I love the gun, but it might need some tweaking, like most turkish guns.

After some tweaking of the ejector mine runs all ammo I've thrown at it, even down to 7/8 oz.

And it shots super soft.

You can read more about it here:

Edited by grottulf

There might be one drawback for 3-gun though...

There are no 20-round mags for them as far as I know.

But I've heard that there is a drum-mag in the works...

(The Derya/Typhoon mags does not work, since this shotgun has a AR-308 compatible lower.)

The Tigris 10 round mags works great however, and that's all I'm allowed to use for IPSC, so for me that's not an issue.

Oddly, the brake isnt the same as on the guns sold in Europe.

Also, both receiver and barrel seem to be marked "Made in the USA", which is a bit odd, but could be for 922(r) compliance (which would also explain the brake).

However, if these are getting a number of US parts made/installed by someone who cant figure out which way a brake goes, Im going to let someone else be the guinea pig.

Edited by gose

Neat that they’re getting them imported finally. My dad and brother both just purchased VR80s for themselves, if there was more info/review/availability on these I may have suggested they hold off. Something about it being a true AR-platform rather than “AR-style” makes it more appealing to me

On 8/5/2021 at 3:09 PM, grottulf said:

That's a Tigris XR12 pro!

Apparently they have started to sell them in the US now, but under a different name for some reason...

I love the gun, but it might need some tweaking, like most turkish guns.

After some tweaking of the ejector mine runs all ammo I've thrown at it, even down to 7/8 oz.

And it shots super soft.

You can read more about it here:

Any chance you can describe or show what you did to the ejector? I am having issues we believe are ejector related in a different Turkish box fed and looking for ideas.

10 hours ago, inertia said:

Any chance you can describe or show what you did to the ejector? I am having issues we believe are ejector related in a different Turkish box fed and looking for ideas.

Most ejector issues I believe are just because of the shotgun needs hotter loads to cycle the bolt reliably.

The Tigris/Orthos works with really light loads however, due to the design with the rotating bolt, so that's normally not an issue with this one.

In my case the problem was that the ejector didn't protrude enough, so it didn't get close enough to the bolt.

This can be seen by just hand cycling the action and watch how close the ejector is to the bolt.

I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue with the Tigris though, so I don't think it's common, and they have probably solved the issue by now.

I made some shims to place between the ejector and the upper, to get it closer to the bolt.

I don't have a picture of how it looked without the shim, but here's a pic of how the ejector sits close to the bolt now.

And a pic of the shim.

I also beveled a surface on the ejector, so it follows the inner contour of the upper better.

Before that, it sat slightly canted. 

But again, they have probably fixed that by now.

20210213_130720_copy_756x1008.jpg

20210817_065904_copy_756x1008.jpg

20201004_141238_copy_756x1008.jpg

Edited by grottulf

8 hours ago, grottulf said:

Most ejector issues I believe are just because of the shotgun needs hotter loads to cycle the bolt reliably.

The Tigris/Orthos works with really light loads however, due to the design with the rotating bolt, so that's normally not an issue with this one.

In my case the problem was that the ejector didn't protrude enough, so it didn't get close enough to the bolt.

This can be seen by just hand cycling the action and watch how close the ejector is to the bolt.

I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue with the Tigris though, so I don't think it's common, and they have probably solved the issue by now.

I made some shims to place between the ejector and the upper, to get it closer to the bolt.

I don't have a picture of how it looked without the shim, but here's a pic of how the ejector sits close to the bolt now.

And a pic of the shim.

I also beveled a surface on the ejector, so it follows the inner contour of the upper better.

Before that, it sat slightly canted. 

But again, they have probably fixed that by now.

20210213_130720_copy_756x1008.jpg

20210817_065904_copy_756x1008.jpg

20201004_141238_copy_756x1008.jpg

Super helpful! Thanks

Hi guys, we have had quite a lot of Turkish guns in the UK for longer than you lot. I was sponsored by a UK gun shop for an F12. 
After almost 3 years of constantly having to correct broken parts or swapping out parts for ‘upgrades’ i had enough. 
I was looking for a reliable platform that i knew would get everything i wanted for IPSC shotgun. So i called Hayes, then shipped in an M2. With the fact i have the quality of the custom build, i shot this for a year. Now ive got a Hayes VR80 on order, again to be shipped to the UK. Buy once, cry once! 
I would never again trust the QC of the turkish lot again. 

Edited by Benelliuk

• 1 month later...

A Turkish Tigris XR12 pro Rep told me there were 250 of them sent over here under the Orthos XR12 brand over a year ago. I took that info and just got mine in from a gun shop in upper Ohio. I hope to get it to a range this week. I noticed that other "standard" Turk AR 12 style mags to not fit this gun and have  a message in to see if the Utus XTR mags will work. They are having problems getting a US importer, at one time Black Aces was thinking about doing it, doesn't seem to have gone through with it because of costs. Check gun broker and you see what I mean.

1728914320_UTASORTHOSPROAR12(2).thumb.jpg.0a4af73149987ac94fd1e46fab781c8e.jpg

My orthos xr12 pro

Edited by slappyjack
photo

• 1 month later...

This gun is labeled as a multi-Cal. It will accept the 308 upper as stated in the owners manual. This is one tac driving shotgun that has yet to fail with any ammo being fed through it. Slugs, buckshot or bird shot it seams to like eating it all up. It is a bit heavy for some people but I enjoy the robust feel of this shotgun as it reminds me of the feel of my M1A Springfield .308. This  is a great gun for Shotgun only areas in Michigan were I can reach out to a bit over 200 yards to drop them in their tracks.

Enjoy this gun. It is an Orthos XR-12 Pro Shotgun with the flared magwell for easy reloading on the fly. They do make some 19 round mags as well for this gun.

Enjoy your new Shotgun!