Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Split Brass

Chuck Merriam

I use mixed .40 brass and have run into a headstamp and would like some clarification on the maker. It is marked *I* and I have found a few with a split 3/4 of the case wall length centered and not through to either the head or mouth?!? I catch them when the bullet wont sit on the case before seating. :o Usually they just split to the mouth..........maybe a super weird gun chamber from one gun?

I do not know who the mfg. is, but have found them in 9mm also. Being one to not trust the unknown, I toss them without blinking an eye. 9mm & 40 brass is too cheap to take a chance on any off brand brass.

And that looks like crap brass. The only brass I've seen split like that was a bad batch of S&B 8x57, where I had about 6 cases out 40 split kinda like that and S&B admited to having a bad batch.

maybe "Independence" brand but thats just a guess, not for sure.

That's a good guess, actually. Been a while since I've looked at it, but they have it Sportsman's Warehouse up the road... I'll try to remember to check a box out next time I'm there. Now that you mention, I seem to recall this headstamp, now....

maybe "Independence" brand but thats just a guess, not for sure.

That's a good guess, actually. Been a while since I've looked at it, but they have it Sportsman's Warehouse up the road... I'll try to remember to check a box out next time I'm there. Now that you mention, I seem to recall this headstamp, now....

It is made in Brasil* for CCI.

*Their spelling not mine.

I was told it was federal that brought this in from brasil when they needed to fill civilian orders after getting a large military contract.......

i sort brass for resale all the time and i can tell you that i think i have seen every major manufacturers once fired brass split on the first firing so i wouldn't worry about a manufacturer having a split case unless i saw a bunch of them....i do sort a bunch of "Independence" *I* cases and have not seen a an unusually high amount of split cases......i actually don't remember seeing one at all in all the thousands of the *I* that i've sorted......D I C K