Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Consistent Case Gauge Failure

This morning I loaded 300 rounds of 40 cal on my XL 650. Upon completition I did my normal case gauge test with a 90% failure rate. The brass is Winchester or Starline and it is not range brass. All of the brass has been through my gun at least once.

When I drop the round into the gauge it stops at about 1/4 inch from going in all the way.

Before I start taking dies apart I thought I would ask for advice. The dies are Dillon with the exception of the seating die which is the Redding comp.

Thanks,

Jim

Take a fired case and just size it, do not prime and cap it with a bullet. Then try to drop that case into the gauge. If it goes, you are probably bulging the case with the bullet, or possibly not removing the case flare with enough crimp.

If the case won't go into the gauge after just being re-sized, then you are probably dealing with bulged brass and your re-sizing isn't doing the job.

The 40 like the 38super comp will drop in backwards,= primer first. This way you can check to see if the base of the brass is out of shape. When putting the round in upsidedown it should go in the same level as the right way, the crimp should go in flush to the rim line.

Also drop a factory bullet into the case gauge just to see if the gauge is ok too.

1. I have fired this brass through a Brazos SC and a STI Edge.

2. I fired all of the brass that failed the case gauge during practice this afternoon and only four failed to cycle. I don't think it is the gauge as I have used it for several years but it is interesting that the barrel is more forgiving than the gauge. Today I shot the Edge which has a Schuemann Ultimatch barrel.

3. Checked the sizing die and it is tight to the toolhead.

4. I will be checking my Front Sight for the article mentioned.

Thanks for all the advice. I will update as I figure this out.

George,

I followed your process of elimination. I sized a fired cartridge and gauge checked it and it failed. I then lowered the sizing die and tried again. The case passed. I then belled it and seated a bullet and crimped it and it passed. I repeated this several times with continued success.

Conclusion: even though the sizing die was tight to the tool head somehow it wasn't still fully sizing the case. Go figure.

Again thanks to everyone for the advice. Collective wisdom again triumphs over singular stupidity.

Jim

Sounds like you have it fixed.... but if the problem comes back or persists, try using a full length resizing die like a Lee or EGW undersize die.... when I switched to an undersize die, even used Glock brass went from a 10 or 15 per 100 case gauge failure rate to maybe a 1 in 1000 failure rate, if that. They are that good.

Edited by sfinney

Glad to hear you have it sussed.

I like a case gauge to be less forgiving than the actual chamber in the bbl. If you only test in a clean chamber, then you could be in trouble after it grunges up from firing. All the case gauges I trust are tighter than the chamber they are testing for, I want it that way. Besides, disassembling the gun is a PITA and doesn't allow gauging in the field easily ;-)

--

Regards