Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new 9mm EZ Shield issue

chetc

2 weeks ago i purchase this new 9mm EZ shield 9mm for my wife. she has 5 or 6 other 9mm semi auto pistols, no problems with them. this new gun is puzzling, from day one at the. we go to the range takes maybe 2 shots, slide locks back, pull slide gun goes into battery maybe will shoot 2 -3  then slide locks back with ammo in mag, so we go home and back the next day with the other mag, my wife shoots around 20 rounds and no problem, so i call customer service and explain, tech said the mag might be bad, so i sent the old one back yesterday, and we go to the range and the gun is doing the same thing slide locking back whenever it wants, whether she shoots 2 in a row and locks back or maybe 4 in a row, with the 150 rounds thru the gun maybe the gun work good about 3 or 4 mags filled with 6 rounds, law at our range is 6 rounds in pistols, does this grip safety have anything to do with slide locking back, reason i ask about the grip safety is because when i shoot the gun, i get no jams at all, so that is why i am concerned about the grip safety, if limp wristing was the issue the slide would not go all the way back, i may go back to the range in the next few days and do a test by taping the grip safety tight to the grip and see if problem still exist for her. any thoughts what to do,
she does like the gun, is this a common problem with these ez shields. is it possible the slide lock spring tension is too much or too light tension.

Chet

First thing to check would be to see if her off hand is engaging the slide stop due to her grip.  When she shoots it again watch from the left side.

The grip safety should have nothing to do with the slide locking open.

57 minutes ago, BJB said:

First thing to check would be to see if her off hand is engaging the slide stop due to her grip.  When she shoots it again watch from the left side.

The grip safety should have nothing to do with the slide locking open.

that is what i thought it might be i watched her shoot, finger not near the slide stop lock. i am thinking the slide lock spring tension is either too strong or too weak, if the grip safety is not the issue, have to rethink what to do here

chet

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Did you by chance take it apart and reassemble after buying? I know on a Glock if the slide stop spring is in wrong this exact thing happens.

Hello Sarge

only thing when i got the gun, i took off the slide and cleaned and lube.

chet

I've seen this problem on other boards and one solution was to pin the grip safety, then no more problems for the wife's EZ9.

I don't like the idea of eliminating a safety but if the gun works for you and not her you may want to switch guns with her.  Teach her how to hold that gun.  I love my EZ 9 and have run over 400 rounds though it now without a problem.

10 hours ago, AzShooter said:

I've seen this problem on other boards and one solution was to pin the grip safety, then no more problems for the wife's EZ9.

I don't like the idea of eliminating a safety but if the gun works for you and not her you may want to switch guns with her.  Teach her how to hold that gun.  I love my EZ 9 and have run over 400 rounds though it now without a problem.

Maybe you could use a rubber band or something to hold it for a few mags to see if the issue stops before actually pinning it. 

On 3/31/2021 at 10:08 PM, AzShooter said:

On 3/31/2021 at 10:08 PM, AzShooter said:

well i am off to the range with the grip safety held tight against the grip, hope this solves the problem. cold here in PA

chet

well i want to thank for the tip on the grip safety, that was the problem, as i mentioned i do not have the problem probably due to the way i hold the gun, my wife is just getting over cancer, went thru 5 chemo and 3 radiation and this did take a toll on her wrist and arm strength, it's coming back but very very slow so she probably is not getting the grip she use to, but i did tie the grip safety plunger to the grip with some fine fishing line for the test, normally she would be lucky to shoot 3 shots the most and the slide would lock back, we just got back and she went thru 30 or 40 shots, no problems, now i have to figure a way to hold it in place without any drilling to the gun, although S&W did send me a Fed Ex shipping label for a return to check it out, not sure they can remedy but might be worth a try. any thoughts on returning the gun

thanks again

chet

• 7 months later...

I purchased a 9mm EZ Shield about a month ago.  Nearly every time she tried to lock the slide in to open position, before inserting a magazine into the mag well, the slide stop would disengage allowing the slide to close.  I attempted the same, with similar results.  It appears that the slide stop does not fully engage the slide stop notch.  In fact, the slide stop barely touches the notch, witch would cause the slide to release or close in the forward position.  She refuses to use the EZ because it pinched the heal of her hand three times, twice drawing blood.