Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommend A Caliber

syme71

syme71, the 627 in .38 Super is a really cool steel gun, but it won't work very well in IPSC, since you're limited to 6 rounds between reloads (although it is technically legal to use, as long as you can remember when to do your loads). If you're mostly a steel shooter, and you're limiting yourself to one revo, then get a 627.

If you're at all serious about shooting IPSC, get a 625 and then you can make up some downloaded 152-gr. steel loads for it. The downside is that you will never have more than 6 rounds in the gun, which can be a real disadvantage.

Obviously, the best answer is to buy both!

Don't forget ICORE. If you intend to try that the 627 is perfect. The .38 super is great if you can find one around. I saw one on the Smith & Wesson forum for $895 a few days ago.

The extra shots are not important in USPSA since you must reload after 6 shots but for ICORE and Steel shooting they sure help. You hopefully don't need them but your confidence level is up because you know you have extras.

If you intend to do more than just USPSA go with the 627.

syme71,

You don't say whether you shoot IPSC already but if you are already shooting .40 cal then a 610 may be the gun for you. If you shoot a single stack .45 then the 625 would work. This way you would not have to make any great adjustments (if any) or change calibers on your reloading setup.

But, as the previous posters noted, there are other games besides IPSC ( I can't believe I said that :lol: ) and other guns would serve you well in those.

FWIW

dj

The 625 is the gun if you're going to shoot mostly USPSA. Absolutely perfect for that game. If you're going to shoot mostly other events think of the 627. I prefer the 627 in .357, you can shoot .357 Magnum, dirt cheap and super accurate .38 Special, and can mimic the .38 Super by using .38 Short Colt cases and load data from this forum. Carmoney has good advice though, in can be tough using an eight shooter in USPSA if you lose count. I bought both the 627 and the 625 and love each one.

P.S. - I think Smith reissued the 627 V-comp, a nice eight shooter with removable comp and fluted cylinder. One thing with the 627 .38 Supers is they have an unfluted cylinder, which can make the trigger pull a little heavier. Read some of the posts on Frankengun and Making Super Light Trigger Pulls for more info.

I currently shoot .40 in IPSC so it's worth considering the 610. Wasn't aware of the 6 shot IPSC rule (I'm new to revo) so it seems I'll have an excuse to buy two revolvers then, either a 610/625 and a 627 for steel (right you are Carmoney!).

R112 brings up an interesting option on the 627 in .357 as it seems the 627 in 38 super is a little hard to come by. I'm not to worried about the trigger pull as I intend to sending it to Mark @ Pinnacle for a tune job.

Thanks for the responses folks!

Syme, I have 627s in both .38 Super and .357 and like them both. My kid will probably shoot the Super when we head back out to Bud Bond's Rocky Mountain ICORE match next spring, I'll have to decide whether to shoot the .357 (with Short Colts) or whether I want to take on ol' Six Shot in the (appropriately enough) 6-shot subdivision, using my 625 and those poofer ICORE loads!

Y'know, if you're already loading for .40, that 610 idea might be a really good option for you. The only possible disadvantage is a very slight reduction in potential reload speed, but I do mean very slight. This is not a gun I have ever owned, but I believe the word on the street is for IPSC you want to find a 5" model, rather than the more common 4" or 6.5"--others with 610s can chime in on that.

Anyway, great to see another guy gearing up for Revo!

Mike

Edited by Carmoney

Syme, I have 627s in both .38 Super and .357 and like them both. My kid will probably shoot the Super when we head back out to Bud Bond's Rocky Mountain ICORE match next spring, I'll have to decide whether to shoot the .357 (with Short Colts) or whether I want to take on ol' Six Shot in the (appropriately enough) 6-shot subdivision, using my 625 and those poofer ICORE loads!

Y'know, if you're already loading for .40, that 610 idea might be a really good option for you. The only possible disadvantage is a very slight reduction in potential reload speed, but I do mean very slight. This is not a gun I have ever owned, but I believe the word on the street is for IPSC you want to find a 5" model, rather than the more common 4" or 6.5"--others with 610s can chime in on that.

Mike

Mikes right about the slight difference in reloading the 610, you do, on occasion miss a reload, not by much. With the 625, of which I have several, its almost impossible to miss the reload. If IPSC gets in your blood, go with the 625 or 25-2.

Mike, wasn't going to make it back to Bud's match next year because of a return trip to Africa, BUT, it looks like its falling through so hope to see you & Sam in may, 06. You're going to be sorry you didn't make it to Area II. I know Carden & Burkholder would call you out! Sorry for the drift!

Dick

Mike

I've always been a big fan of revolvers ever since my dad left me his nickel plated Colt Diamondback. I got to wield a Pinnacle Guns tuned 627-4 at this weekend's knockdown steel match and couldn't believe how slick the action was. If you guys know of any other smith's that do good revolver work, pass them along.