Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

World Shoot Revolver Coverage In Front Sight Article

Carmoney

The following post from Spook just appeared in the "WHAT I HATE" sub-forum:

"I read the last Front Sight. There was an article about the World Shoot and revolver shooters. It said Ricardo Lopez and I got so close to Jerry Miculek because Jerry had an inner ear infection (and that Jerry was going to kick our asses a little harder next time on Bali). That f%cking sucks, because it is not true. We got so close to Jerry because we both worked our f$%king asses of dry firing and spending every hour we had on the range. And we didn't work hard enough, because we did not win.

While Jerry suffered from an inner ear infection I puked my guts out for two days, had to run to the toilet every half hour and had the worst fever I had in years. Well, guess what? We don't measure that stuff. All that counts is you time and your points and I don't care how you earn them as long as it's done in a sportsmanship fashion. If you have a peg leg and pink eye on match day, tough shit. The three of us were all good sports and we all worked very hard to beat eachother fair and square.

I hate being put down like that. You work for years and someone insinuates that what you did is not thanks to you, but because the best guy didn't perform that well. BS!

BTW, don't think I blame Jerry. I talked to him and he seems like the last guy to blame anything or anyone but himself."

For the record, the revolver portion in Patrick Sweeney's article starts with the following: "The big surprise was how close it was at the top. The Ecuadorian champ, Ricardo Lopez, had been practicing for some time. He even came to matches in Florida, where he caused Cliff Walsh a lot of worry. Not to be outshone, Bjorn Dietrich had been working hard, too. They did what no one has done to date: shot over 90 percent against Jerry Miculek with a revolver. Jerry's comment; 'Those fellas been practicing.'"

But since those kind words in the official journal of the United States Practical Shooting Association obviously fall way short of satisfying Bjorn (Spook) Dietrich's expectations and needs, let's all congratulate Bjorn yet again on his phenomenal third-place performance at the World Shoot.

Great job, Spook. And thanks for sharing your feelings with us here on the forum. It really helps us to get to know you a little better.

Mike

Edited by Carmoney

I too was a little bit confused when I saw the Hate forum. I went back this morning and reread the article. I can see how it could be interpreted that since Jerry had a finger injury and was sick it could take away from the other two shooters. After rereading the entire article and the paragraphs showcasing the other divisions, I just dont see that.

The article did specifically point out that those two shooters were the only two to ever shoot over 90% of Jerry's score at a match, the World Shoot nontheless!

Having shot with and competed with Jerry, I know what an achievement this is, so my hat is off to Spook for that accomplishment, but I just dont see the dis in the article. My .02 cents....( going to go dry fire myself after I feed the kid! ;) ) DougC

Also for the record... "I hate to break the news, but it isn't likely to happen again. Jerry arrived with an inner ear infection, and for the first two days every target was a moving target. When he moved, they moved. His trigger finger knuckle was still sore from an injury at the Nationals, and as a result he was off his pace on a bunch of stages."

I would be pissed too.

Thanks for noticing it Jake. You nailed it once again :)

Wow, I really don't know what to say Mike. I am in doubt between asking the moderators to delete my hate thread because I don't want the great atmosphere on these forums to deteriorate because of what I wrote.

On the other hand I feel like I should be able to rant (specifically without naming names, because I trust/know that it was never Patrick's intention to offend) in a forum where people whine about the little irritating things in life, like people in cars on cell phones etc.

Anyways, I'm sorry if I gave you the impression I was looking for a fight or something. It's just that I have worked so hard and it was already a big disappointment to come in third, that this was just the straw. Yes, the rant comes from personal failure on my side (and no, I am not looking for pats on the back or other compliments, because no matter how many people say I did well, what matters most is what you think yourself, and I think I sucked, period)

As long as we're "sharing" here anyways, I have seriously contemplated quitting shooting altogether because of my performance at the WS. At the moment I am seriously trying to find the motivation to pick up the wheelgun again and it is not easy. So these 13 little words got to me. It is weak that I let that happen, but I did.

I can only apologize for that.

Edited by spook

This just pissed me off, and I don't know why. I guess I'm only human.

PS, next up in the hate forum: "Having to defend personal rants"

Now use it Spook to feed the monster and show em. You did great why can't they accept that :unsure:

Ditto Gary's comments.

I read the article the same way Spook did... I think even getting to the WS is an accomplishment- Heck of a job to place well, esp. 3rd!

The rant column is just for that, rants. Even a relative forum newbie like me gets it- No need to defend yourself for what you believe.

Feed the monster.......

As long as we're "sharing" here anyways, I have seriously contemplated quitting shooting altogether because of my performance at the WS.

Well, DON'T DO THAT, for gosh sakes. Anybody who finishes at 90%+ of JM is one hell of a revolver shooter. Maybe you don't feel that way right now, but those of us who've competed against Jerry know what a big deal that is. Your finish at the WS against Jerry proved more to us than 100 other matches you may have won without him there, Spook. Part of shooting wheelgun in a universe where JM exists is that you have to find a way to stay balanced between the realism of knowing what he can do, and yet keeping the competitive spark alive and continuing to work in his direction.

Welcome to our world, brother! :)

Mike

Edited by Carmoney

As an aside, I am a bit bothered that everyone acts like JM is above human. I am personally a huge fan, and so I dont want anyone thinking I am not giving him due credit. His is the best ever without a doubt, but he is still a man, and every man is beatable. Spook got him good and scared, which is a good reminder that there are other people that can make this round guns sing. Jerry is amazing and has done things that I would never belive if I hadnt seen with my own eyes, but he isnt the only guy doing amazing stuff either. Best of luck Spook for the future and be proud of your past aside from what anyone, with any intentions (good or bad) says about it.

Bjorn,

I did not intend to slam your performance, nor that of Ricardo. Nor anyone who was willing to test themselves against Jerry. I apologize if my words caused hurt or disappointment. I was reporting on what I saw, heard and experienced.

First, you and Ricardo shot over 90% against Jerry, something no one has ever done before. Bravo! More to the point, you made him pay attention. I spent fifteen years shooting against him at Second Chance, and in all that time no one, no one ever, made him think twice about his performance with a revolver. If anyone got even a bit close he'd just go back to the line, shift to a higher gear and set a new record.

Jerry doesn't talk much. So when he says to me: "Them boys been practicing" and I hadn't even asked him what he thought about the competition, he is showing you a great deal of respect. He and I talked about the match afterwards, and he outlined what I should do, and what he was going to do, for the next one. Again, in the two decades I've known him, I've never heard him talk so much about how to stay in front. He is definitely paying attention now, in a way he hasn't before.

As for the medical problems, had I known of yours, I'd have mentioned them also. Readers love to know about the shooters, and to hear of shooters overcoming adversity.

In an earlier life I spent a lot of time under the tutelage of a Tae Kwon Do master from the old school. One aspect of life and the martial arts he taught was a clear-eyed analysis of one's performance and skills. Disappointed at shooting 3rd at the World Shoot? Are you on drugs? Who in this forum wouldn't spend every waking moment from now until Bali, slaving at their craft, knowing they could be 3rd? And can you do better? Yes, you can. Your performance proved that.

But as I said, Jerry knows you're coming now. If you really want to do something to be proud of, show up in Bali, come in second, and push Jerry hard enough that the 3rd place shooters match percentage falls into the 80's.

Me, I have a realistic view of my skills: I can shoot well enough to stay on a U.S. team, and not fall out of the top half of the revolver shooters (by numbers, not percentage) at the next World Shoot. But I will never be 3rd. My hat is off to all fourteen people who shot well enough to get between me and Jerry. Hundreds, even thousands of shooters have tried, and failed at that in the past.

Both you and Ricardo have earned a place in the annals of IPSC. Don't quit on us.

I spent fifteen years shooting against him at Second Chance, and in all that time no one, no one ever, made him think twice about his performance with a revolver. If anyone got even a bit close he'd just go back to the line, shift to a higher gear and set a new record.

Patrick:

Better go back to your archives and look at the results from Second Chance 1993! There was one young wheelgunner that year who managed to knock Jerry down into third place (unfortunately, Ken Tapp beat them both).

;)

Mike

I'm sure you're talking about the Main Event. In any case, Jerry wasn't exactly quaking in his shoes at the prospect he was going to get beaten.

That's right. I'm talking about the Main Event. The real deal. The big show.

(Don't know if he was quaking in his shoes or not. Guess he should have been that year, huh?)

B)

Patrick, thank you very much for you post. I appreciate it very much. And judging from it, I owe you an apology. Carmoney was the one that triggered something with his thread. It made me think about my rant and how it could be interpreted. I am sorry if I made you think anything else than that I hated the fact that the line you wrote got to me. It’s not you that made me angry. And I KNOW you did not mean to hurt or offend me with it.

It once again shows how writing can be a tricky medium. I will try to remind myself to refrain from posting in the Hate forums for this reason only. I'd rather keep it to myself than cause people to actually feel bad.

But, as always on these forums, things get worked out and in the end we can all shoot with a smile! This place is truly great!

Thanks for letting me know how Jerry feels about Ricardo's and my performance. It's great to hear "the man" considers us a potential danger :)

Bjorn

Bjorn and Patrick,

Very cool of both of you to handle this in such a smart, reflective, and mature way. I would not have expected anything less--you're both top guys in my book!

I'll buy you both a beer next time I see you. In fact, if it's the night before the match, I'll buy you 12 or 15 beers! ;)

Mike

Spook

Jerry's not the only one that feels yours and Ricardos "potential dangerous" skills coming on.

The Revo crew here in the states look forward to some great competition with even GREATER competitors like you and Ricardo.

You two have not only "raised the bar" for us here but are creating higher standards abroad.

We know our work is cut out for us and we are up for the challenge.

Your performance at the WS left me "speachless" ( im not kidding either)

So, hang in there man !!! The next couple of years is going to get interesting and entertaining as well. The Revo div needs you now !!!

Hope to meet up with you in '06.

Best,

Dan..................

Bjorn,

But as I said, Jerry knows you're coming now. If you really want to do something to be proud of, show up in Bali, come in second, and push Jerry hard enough that the 3rd place shooters match percentage falls into the 80's.

Hell Spook, go there an beat him, don't settle for 2nd..... I have been quitely watching your progress from the shadows since I started in this forum .... and you are the only one I have noticed that has put in the commitment to even get close .... he IS only human, and you have him worried, but your learning curve is still on the up .... is his???

Keep up the good efforts Spook your as much as an inspiration to some people as Jerry is to other people. B)

For what its worth I think it was inappropriate to bring a "What I hate" rant into the general forum.

Bjorn,

If you really want to do something to be proud of, show up in Bali, come in second beat Jerry bad enough that the 3rd place shooters match percentage falls into the 80's.

That looks better. :D

I admire the way this whole discussion is tuning out. It is inspiring.

Spook, It doesn't matter what was written in an artical or what others' perceptions are of the results at WSXIV. What matters is that you did what you did the way that you did it and achived something that very few others ever have. I didn't read in that article that Jerry said "Them boys are only this close to me 'cause I'm sick". I read that he gave you props for your skills and "THAT'S" what matters. There's a hell of a lot of Revolver shooters out there that would pay a lot of money to have you teach them. Be Proud!