Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead Cast 155 gr RN SWC FTF's

walnutty

Hello Folks, 

I have a CZ TS in 40 that works flawlessly with my previous 180 LFP's.  Recently reloaded some of these 155 gr RN SWC's.  I got a lot of FTF's when loaded with the front of the bullet shoulder slightly above the case rim. (would do this several times per mag; mag holds 17 rounds)

Lengthened COAL to 1.135".  Much improved, but still got around 1-2 FTF's per mag. 

Lengthened to again to 1.140-1.142".  Mid mag FTF's disappeared, but first round on full 17-round mag will always FTF when slingshotted or using slide stop.   Feeding was very smooth.  No first round FTF's when loading mag to 15 rounds.  Mags were never loaded during storage so spring tension should be good. 

Is the idea here to load as long as possible?  The bullet shoulder will begin to touch the barrel lead when loading to 1.145".  Slightly over that the bullet shoulder will begin to stick to the lands. 

I guess I can try 1.145-1.147"?

Is the 155 gr RNSWC just more temperamental to feeding issues?

Thanks so much for your input!

When I was just starting to load for my CZ TS I was told by a bunch of TS shooters at the club that if I loaded to 1.126" I would never have problems.  I haven't.  I did try the 155 LSWC when first starting.  They fed fine but I wasn't happy with the accuracy.  The 175 LSWC were much better, as were the 180 TC.

Plunk Testing:
The solution to chambering problems is to determine the cause:
Take the barrel out of the gun. Drop rounds in until you find one 
that won't chamber. Take that round and "paint" the bullet and 
case black with Magic Marker or other marker. Drop round in 
barrel (or gage) and rotate it back-and-forth a few times.
Remove and inspect the round:
1) Scratches in the ink on bullet--COL is too long
2) Scratches in the ink on edge of the case mouth--insufficient 
crimp
3) Scratches in the ink just below the case mouth--too much 
crimp, you're crushing the case
4) Scratches in the ink on case at base of bullet--bullet seated 
crooked due to insufficient case expansion (not case mouth flare) 
or improper seating stem fit
5) Scratches in the ink on case just above extractor groove--case has a bulge that sizing die can't reach. Bulge Bust or toss case.

• 2 weeks later...

Another trick you can try is to seat the SWC bullets such that, if stood up next to a LFP round that feeds perfectly, the outline of the SWC is contained within the LFP.

This may seat the SWC too deep or not deep enough, so don't use this as the only check before loading up rounds like that.

But, I've gotten stubborn SWCs to feed 100% reliably in 1911s using this method. 

If you still have problems, explain to us exactly what you mean by FTF... Nose dive into/below the feed ramp? 3 point jam? etc