Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

20 Ga For Three Gun

Inogrip

I've been playing with a 20 ga Browning gold and thinking of using it for three gun. Any one have any comments on using this gauge? Accessories are not a problem, I make my own.

I really like the auto load feature when the bolt is locked open, alot faster reloading if you run dry.

Thanks

I have a Remington 1100 in 20ga that I have sucessfully used in 3 gun. Besides having to search harder for accessories, the only other drawback is having to use a tighter choke than a comparable 12ga to keep the shot density high enough to take down long steel. It will require you to be slightly more accurate than a comparable 12ga shooter but you can still be faster with the lighter gun and reduced recoil.

Edited by L9X25

Saiga20_proto1.JPG

This was its first iteration. Since this picture was taken, the CAR stock was replaced with a M4 stock, the sight was changed to a Doctor on a Doctor McCoy Mount (a slick aluminum and steel mount that fits in the rear dovetail of the sight rail, which was removed and discarded), and the 19" barrel was shortened and fitted with a Cutts Polychoke.

The factory 10-round magazines are the same, though :)

Alex

We have a couple of shooters every month use the 20ga. with no apparent difference from the 12. One uses a slick Remington 1100 Limited/Standard setup just for 3Gun, and another uses an 870 with an ext. tube only. Both guns take down all the steel and break all the clays with one shot. The 1100 cycles really fast and straight with no muzzle rise.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 11-87 with Synthetix Stock, Choate +4 tube, Firesights light pipe.....It is great!!!

Knocks down steel with no problem (Modified choke). Had Benny make me an EZ Loader..

The only problem is that it takes a bit more practice on the reloads, as the loading gate is narrower than the 12 Ga. I use #8 Remington Gun Club ammo amd have no problem.

:P:P:P

Main drawback to 20 ga. is it does not have as wide a pattern as 12 ga does, so you have to aim it more like a rifle than a shotgun. I mostly shoot the edge's so I need as wide a pattern as I can get.

Benny has it nailed as to what the real diff between shooting a tweeny and a twelver is.

You really need to aim with the tweeny, which in the long run means that any equal shooter can go faster on any given stage with a twelver and a looser choke, end of story. It's kinda like racing a 350cc bike against the 600cc+ machines, you gotta' work a bit harder for it in the corners cause you just ain't got it on the straightaways ;-)

Carlos, those are the factory 10-round 20-gauge magazines. They run just fine with 2 3/4" shells. A bit of polish work and touching up the followers, and the Saigas run like gangbusters on everything but Winchesters.

Alex

• 4 weeks later...
I have a 12 gauge Browning Gold and it has very little recoil, even with 3 1/4 dram (1 1/8 oz @ 1300 fps) shells. Try one before you buy it (or a Winchester SX-2). Keep the 20 gauge for Skeet and Sporting Clays.

I have an SX2 and like it alot. I'm building and open gun out of the Gold 20 just for fun. Need a few days at the range to final debug and it will be ready to go. 5rd speed loaders, 10 rd tube and it works even if I load on an open bolt. Doesn't like 7/8oz loads (not broke in yet). We'll see what happens when I get a chance to pound a few more rounds through it.

inogrip