Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TacSol 1911 22 Conversion

cbrussell

I was wondering why TacSol is no longer producing their 1911 22 Conversion Kit? I know BJ Norris used to win the Steel Challenge. Was there a problem with it? I am asking because Gunbroker has some so I was wondering if it would be a good buy? I am concerned about reliability for Steel Challenge and I suppose parts.

Thanks

The Nelson and the slightly better Marvel Precision Unit One conversions are only useable with standard velocity ammo, or slightly higher.  The slide velocity is violent with high speed stuff and things will eventually break.  Unfortunately, no one make a strong enough recoil spring for that design.

CWA makes conversions where the barrel is locked in place by the slide stop pin.  You don't have to tighten the recoil spring rod against the SS as you do in the previously mentioned two.  CWA provides variable, 8, 10 and 12 lb. recoil springs.  With the 12 lb. spring and the shock buff you can shoot Eley Force (42gr @ 1250 fps) all year long without damage.  Unfortunately, the CWA conversion will not run standard velocity ammo 100% unless you use a lighter mainspring.  I've run the CWA conversion for years with CCI AR Tactical ammo (40gr @ 1200 fps).

On 2/19/2021 at 10:08 AM, zzt said:

The Nelson and the slightly better Marvel Precision Unit One conversions are only useable with standard velocity ammo, or slightly higher.  The slide velocity is violent with high speed stuff and things will eventually break.  Unfortunately, no one make a strong enough recoil spring for that design.

CWA makes conversions where the barrel is locked in place by the slide stop pin.  You don't have to tighten the recoil spring rod against the SS as you do in the previously mentioned two.  CWA provides variable, 8, 10 and 12 lb. recoil springs.  With the 12 lb. spring and the shock buff you can shoot Eley Force (42gr @ 1250 fps) all year long without damage.  Unfortunately, the CWA conversion will not run standard velocity ammo 100% unless you use a lighter mainspring.  I've run the CWA conversion for years with CCI AR Tactical ammo (40gr @ 1200 fps).

I have two Marvel Unit 1s and a Nelson conversion as well. All are installed in dedicated 2011 frames.  I have recoil springs strong enough to prevent all of them from picking up a round off the magazine using high velocity ammunition.  You can achieve similar results with hammer springs.  Finally, the Nelson rubber recoil buffers work on all of them and do a fine job mitigating slide/frame impact.