Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Boss Components Carbide Grips???

SJBriggs

6 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Not sure why one would order these when the DIY alternative works just as well for probably a 1/4 of the cost.

That's assuming that you already have a set of grips that you would like to apply the carbide to. Would it even adhere to the aluminum grips?

If you mix the sand with fairy dust it will stick perfectly.  In case Amazon is out of fairy dust, epoxy works fine and you can select the silicon carbide  ‘grid’ to your preference.  For the price, if you don’t have grips, it seems like a good option but most of us will have some ‘take off’ grips which can be used.  I used plastic and aluminum and both worked fine.  Additionally epoxy putty can be used to match the grip to your hand  size and shape before using the magic dust. 60 grid is good for competition but not so good for dry fire. 100-120  seems good for dry fire.   

Edited by KlausN

Yes, my question referred to whether or not the epoxy (or fairy dust) would do an adequate job of adhering to aluminum grip panels. As a new CZ owner, I do not happen to have an extra set of grips. I don't want to screw up the nice factory grips, so I may just hold out for a cheap set of used grips to experiment on. If not, the Boss grips aren't that expensive!

On 1/20/2021 at 11:40 PM, KlausN said:

If you mix the sand with fairy dust it will stick perfectly.  In case Amazon is out of fairy dust, epoxy works fine and you can select the silicon carbide  ‘grid’ to your preference.  For the price, if you don’t have grips, it seems like a good option but most of us will have some ‘take off’ grips which can be used.  I used plastic and aluminum and both worked fine.  Additionally epoxy putty can be used to match the grip to your hand  size and shape before using the magic dust. 60 grid is good for competition but not so good for dry fire. 100-120  seems good for dry fire.   

I started with 60/90 grit and did not find it sufficiently grippy for competition or extended dry fire.  I ended up grinding it off (what a pain that was, I almost wore down a diamond tile bit) and most of the underlying epoxy and re-did it with 36 grit, which I find perfect for competition.

60/90 is as rough as I would go for concealed carry, though right now I get by with some really aggressive DIY stippling

Edited by SGT_Schultz

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have friends with palm swell and thin BC carbide grips. Both are great I think the palm swell are perfect for the spo1, I am a palm swell fan. I have experience with both model shadows and grips on the CZ’s. PM if need more info. The G10’s have only just came out haven’t tried them yet however. BC is a shooter at my club, top guy very supportive of ipsc.

Edited by goshimu