Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chiappa Rhino in 9mm

Tampa-XD45

• 2 years later...
7 hours ago, MuayThaiJJ said:

@matteekay have you ever added a 9mm cylinder to one of your 357 Rhinos? I am thinking of doing it myself. I figure there is some ratchet fitting.

Chiappa used to sell a Rhino with both 9mm and .357 cylinders. I suspect there's less fitting involved than there would be on a S&W due to the pin design of the ratchet (see Pat's post above).

They very, very rarely come up for sale, but I've seen a few 9mm cylinders on eBay. Chiappa won't sell them to you unless you have a FFL.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dwzuspsa said:

they only send the conversion kits to your ffl and one just arrived last week...thanks for the consideration.

Assuming you were replying to my DM...

I bought three off GunBroker a while back so I wouldn't have to swap my sears when changing between the competition and regular hammers. There's a lot of other parts they'll only ship to FFL's but the conversion kits have always been GTG. Unless it's a Peoples Republic of Kalifornia thing...

Fellas, when you talk conversion are you referring to caliber conversion by switching cylinders or something else?

A few months ago I saw a great price on a 9mm Rhino in SAO, whIch seemed dumb as hell UNLESS you could convert to DA cheap n easy. 

3 hours ago, ben b. said:

Fellas, when you talk conversion are you referring to caliber conversion by switching cylinders or something else?

A few months ago I saw a great price on a 9mm Rhino in SAO, whIch seemed dumb as hell UNLESS you could convert to DA cheap n easy. 

When it was in stock, the DA conversion kit cost about $15 and required zero fitting. It's literally a spring, a pin, and a sear that gets installed in the hammer.

I imagine a caliber conversion would be more involved. The main thing is it's next to impossible to find a cylinder out in the wild.

Thank you matteekay. I had wondered what the SAR Rhino was about, and this thread led me to Google and learn that it was a Mickey Mouse California law convolution. 

Edited by ben b.