Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seeing Magwell

Smitty79

I've spent most of my USPSA shooting time shooting Production.    I'm almost a super senior and I use glasses that have my dominant eye focused on the front  sight and my other eye focused on infinity.

I switched to carry optics and I use glasses were both are focused on infinity.    That works great when shooting.   But I don't get a clear view of the magwell on reloads.   Should I get glasses with closer focus for the non-dominant eye to see the magwell better?

Does it effect your reloading?  If so you could talk to your optometrist about graduated lenses - the top half or 2/3 for distance and the bottom for up close.  It is not perfect for me but it has been a good compromise as my eyes continue to deteriorate. 

If within the rules you could also try marking the inside of the magwell to draw your eyes to the correct spot.

I used to practice my reloads with my eyes closed.

My index finger runs along the front spine of the mag on the mag draw, and finger finds hand to insert the mag.  Do this at chest height, but I have seen people do this at chin height.

56 minutes ago, my00wrx1 said:

If within the rules you could also try marking the inside of the magwell to draw your eyes to the correct spot.

It's legal.  From the 2020 USPSA Competition Rules:

Appendix D7 - Carry Optics

22.3 Magwell opening

No OFM or aftermarket external magwells.

Internal magwell dimensions may be increased.

Aftermarket external flaring is prohibited.

Markings inside magwell are allowed.

This is some orange nail polish that was used on my P320 Legion for CO division.  Not the best nail polish job (it's my first) but it serves it's purpose.  Being right-handed, the mark is on the right side of the magwell.  Coming from Open and PCC divisions where you could use a magwell the size of the Holland Tunnel, this has helped with the eye / hand coordination along with a bunch of practice.

BC

MagWellPaint.JPG

Edited by BillChunn