Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ear Of Bell-crank Assembly Hitting Powder Measure Body

Hello,

I've got my Dillon APM set up for .308 Winchester right now, and I'm kind of debugging some minor issues... looks like I'm going to have to try reaming the powder funnel to alleviate some bridging problems w/ Varget, but in the mean time I noticed something that hadn't caught my attention before... the bell-crank assembly (hope I have my terminology correct here) has two brass colored parts. The outer part has kind of an 'ear' on it that has a slight bend that makes it go over the lower part of the inner piece... anyway, this 'ear' is hitting the powder measure body, just the very corner of it, right about where the white 'cube' is about 1/2-2/3 of the way thru it's travel. Just kind of a little 'tick' of increased resistance and sound as it contacts and continues on. I'm not really sure how to adjust things so it doesn't do this, or if that 'ear' can be safely amputated (what purpose *does* it serve?).

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Monte

Hello,

I've got my Dillon APM set up for .308 Winchester right now, and I'm kind of debugging some minor issues... looks like I'm going to have to try reaming the powder funnel to alleviate some bridging problems w/ Varget, but in the mean time I noticed something that hadn't caught my attention before... the bell-crank assembly (hope I have my terminology correct here) has two brass colored parts. The outer part has kind of an 'ear' on it that has a slight bend that makes it go over the lower part of the inner piece... anyway, this 'ear' is hitting the powder measure body, just the very corner of it, right about where the white 'cube' is about 1/2-2/3 of the way thru it's travel. Just kind of a little 'tick' of increased resistance and sound as it contacts and continues on. I'm not really sure how to adjust things so it doesn't do this, or if that 'ear' can be safely amputated (what purpose *does* it serve?).

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Monte

Herky, Jerky is correct. I couldn't stand it, so I loped it off and put two springs around the hopper/charge bar ( like the older models had). Smoothed it right out. Now it works like the 550 I had in the mid 80's. This "new" system is supposed to be a safety enhancement and I'm thinking was no doubt brought on by litigation. Dillon will probably be on shortly explaining the thing and possibly chiding me for defeating a safety device. Some folks claim it settles their powder for more consistant loads but that escapes me. Why build a rock steady bench only to have your powder measure do the tango at every stroke? My drops are dead on and my machine is smoooooth.

Bronson7

edited for spelling

Edited by Bronson7

Well, thanks guys. For some reason I didnt' think it did that (at least not that noticeably) when I had it set up for .223. Maybe I missed it. Starting to look like another reason to get a real powder measure sitting on top of mine.

Thanks,

Monte

You can adjust the amount of contact between the lock link and the powder measure body by tightening the blue plastic wing nut at the bottom of the failsafe return rod. When you push forward on the handle to seat a primer, the spring above the blue wing nut should be considerably compressed. This is what returns the powder bar to pick up the next powder charge.

The purpose for the locking linkage is to delay the return of the powder bar until after the shellplate has started to advance, thus making it more difficult to double charge a case. On a manually-indexed machine such as the RL550B, this isn't relevant. However, we only produce one style of linkage.

BTW, Bronson 7, "CHIDE CHIDE CHIDE!" :ph34r:

• 7 months later...
You can adjust the amount of contact between the lock link and the powder measure body by tightening the blue plastic wing nut at the bottom of the failsafe return rod. When you push forward on the handle to seat a primer, the spring above the blue wing nut should be considerably compressed. This is what returns the powder bar to pick up the next powder charge.

The purpose for the locking linkage is to delay the return of the powder bar until after the shellplate has started to advance, thus making it more difficult to double charge a case. On a manually-indexed machine such as the RL550B, this isn't relevant. However, we only produce one style of linkage.

BTW, Bronson 7, "CHIDE CHIDE CHIDE!" :ph34r:

On my 550b I have had the herky jerky double bellcrank freeze up twice in the powder dropping position. Both times there was galling inside the slide body. The second time I found a slight bump on the pistol powderbar itself right opposite the plastic squares notch. I filed the bump flush with the bars side and have had no trouble since. There is even less herky jerky.

I still prefer the older spring loaded slide on my older powder measure.

JH