Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 9mm Vs 40 Cal

CSEMARTIN

When Lawman says "safe room", I dont think he means a fortified ballistic protected room. I think "safe room" is one that you put your family in and gives you the best tactical advantage (placement of doors and windows), and that could be one of the bedrooms, living, dining, family room or whatever. I dont think he was talking about a mansion with libraries, studies, etc.

Also, the wrong house warrant thing doesnt happen as often as you think or as you say. Thats truth. The problem is when it does happen, it is beaten to death for months afterward, but it was still the one incident, not the 20 that they make it sound like. Im on one of those teams, I know better.

The flashlight held away from your body technique still works sometimes, but is an older technique that is not used as often because of other technology and techniques that have been found decades after this was used. I wont discuss the modern most effective techniques used and taught today, but that one isnt it. Tac lights are used for a reason.

When Lawman says "safe room", I dont think he means a fortified ballistic protected room. I think "safe room" is one that you put your family in and gives you the best tactical advantage (placement of doors and windows), and that could be one of the bedrooms, living, dining, family room or whatever. I dont think he was talking about a mansion with libraries, studies, etc.

Also, the wrong house warrant thing doesnt happen as often as you think or as you say. Thats truth. The problem is when it does happen, it is beaten to death for months afterward, but it was still the one incident, not the 20 that they make it sound like. Im on one of those teams, I know better.

The flashlight held away from your body technique still works sometimes, but is an older technique that is not used as often because of other technology and techniques that have been found decades after this was used. I wont discuss the modern most effective techniques used and taught today, but that one isnt it. Tac lights are used for a reason.

Read historical books about the Battle of Stalingrad. I believe those German and Russian soldiers could still teach today's "operators" a great deal about urban warfare. Some people today think they know infinitely more about combat than their fathers and grandfathers. I say that some of today's "operators" would not have lived more than 12 hours in Stalingrad or Gauadalcanal. Korea was no sunday outing either.

Other than that, we sure have great gear but I dont know that I am a better warrior than my ancestors. In fact, I know I did not go through a fraction of what they did. As bad as conditions were in my youth, it was not like the Great Depression and other upheavals that toughened my ancestors.

And a lot of fantastic police officers arrrested and killed ultra well armed Depression era gangsters, while armed themselves with revolvers etc.

Just owning gear does not make the warrior. The the Japanese in particular, had poor gear, yet they gave us Hell in the Pacific. Knowing what those soldiers who came before me did keeps me humble and respectfull of every incredible sacrifice they made. That all I have to say on this subject. And after, a long lifetime, I learned there are NO SECRETS, all is known when it comes to combat and dying.

True, but they're not secrets. Im just not willing to discuss or teach them until someone goes to get their own training. I think you severly underestimate our true operators of today, I know, Ive trained with them quite a bit. I take nothing away from our soldiers of yester year, but the "warfare" you speak of is different today than in WWI and WWII.

And its not just about the gear, the gear means nothing unless you learn/perfect how to use it. But if you learn how to use it, then it makes a difference. That is the key.

Sorry for the thread drift, Im done!

Edited by Kevin

Thanks, I think I will leave my G17 alone. I was wondering about the mid and baby Glock 9mm sizes. Would racking be easier on these?

I bought my wife a "baby Glock" in 9 mm. Wished I had went with the G17. The smaller gun has no advantage in any regard as (her's anyway) is kept in or on the nightstand. Concealment is not an issue. The G17 is easier to point and control while the actual grip size (width and circumference) is the same. The slide requires the same effort on both guns.

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats on your decision, you can't go wrong with a G17. Let me share a story with you from this weekend and you will feel even better about your decision. I enrolled in a NRA basic pistol class that is a prerequisite to the Instructor's course. I'm at our local club. There is a wide variety of skill levels in the class from those that just began shooting a pistol to those with 35+ years shooting handguns.

Two of the newer people show up with sub compact 40's. One is a sub compact XD and the other is a Glock 27. We take a 50' slow fire target and put it 5 yards away from the shooting positions and fire 10 rounds at the back side of the target (you couldn't see the bull - the idea was to just hit the paper). We were all seated and shooting off of sandbags no less. The two with sub compact 40s must have hit the paper between 3 and 4 times out of 10 rounds. The 40 in a sub compact is not a beginners gun period. One of them commented to me that he had a friend that was in law enforcement that suggested the 40 over the 9 because the 9 wasn't up to the job. I looked straight at the guy and said if you have a howitzer and can't hit anything it isn't going to be more effective.

Maybe with time these guys will develop enough skill to master their compacts, but they would have been drastically better served with a G17. Have fun with your new addition to the family. B)

Rick

I'm chiming in late here, but I would suggest going to a range and having her shoot a 9mm vs 40 caliber Glock and see if she would notice a difference.

My wife carries and shoots a little G27 everyday. I feel more confident in the 40 than a 9mm. Yes, a good 9mm has good balistics, but I still subscribe to the thought of bigger/more energy/better stopping power.

To be perfectly honest, the best Glock my wife was able to shoot was the G30 45acp. This gun handles the best and he less percieved recoil than a 9mm or a 40. I know that sounds out of this world, but if you have never shot a G30 before, try it. You'll be amazed. I was.

I want to purchase a glock for my wife. Her experience shooting is very limited. My gut feeling was to go with the 9mm, but since this will eventually become a home defense pistol, I've been thinking of going with the 40 caliber. My concern is her ability to handle the 40 cal. What do you guys think?

I appreciate the input.

You can buy a 40 and add and aftermarket "9mm conversion barrel" for about $150 and then you can shoot either caliber just with a barrel swap. Barsto and Firedragon both sell 9mm conversion barrels for many Glock models.

I've read where some have had trouble with a 13# spring in the G17 and that a 15# is best for reliability. I'd try the 13 but be prepared to go to a 15 if an problems arose. Also, I agree on the 9mm. It's not a handicap with good self defense ammo like Corbon and she still has the benefit of lighter 9mm loads for practice.

I would say if it is going to be a concealed/combat weapon I would leave it bone stock except for maybe some meprolight adjustable night sights. Many of the jams that we have durring competition, its trying to tweak the gun, to get optimal performance. changing springs could cause a jam at the most unwanted time. All my Concealed guns are bone stock. Just have her learn with it and dont look back.

As far as ammo, you probably ought to get some good hollowpoints for the gun, corbon, golden sabers, hydroshock. Also shoot them in the gun and know exactly were they are hitting. All of my glocks when I bought them shot to the left and had to drift the rear sight to the right.

hope this helps

pk

• 2 weeks later...

Coming from experience....I would say the 9mm. I am a young woman that has to travel for work alone all the time.....gone for 3 or 4 days at a time several times a year to areas I've never been. When I started this job, my husband (already had a ccw) and wanted to introduce me to handguns and protecting myself. I took a wonderful class with an incredible instructor in West Virginia. This man took me from a very intimidated, terrified of handling a gun "child" to being very comfortable and very confident with myself with a glock 19 in 8 hours of instruction! It was incredible!

Anyway.....4 years later...I still own my glock 19, carry it everywhere (where it's legal to with my ccw)....and swear by it! I have made very few changes to my glock 19 and still love it as I did the day I bought it! I have taken several classes with this wonderful instructor and trust me.....if you know anyone that is like I was (intimated, etc. with guns) and wants to be comfortable and confident....he/she needs to take a very hands on course with an excellent instructor!

I believe if my husband and this instructor had started me with a 45 or something larger than the 9, than I may not have taken to it as well because of the recoil, etc. etc.

Let us know what you decide.