Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Sti Barrel / Slide Locked Up Solid

STI

Help.

I have a new STI open gun and while training the other night I was doing Bill Drills. When I went to clear the gun after firing the 6th shot I found the gun had not extracted the last empty case. What I’m saying is there were 6 holes in the target and 1 empty case jammed in the gun. There is no way I can retract the slide more than 2.5-3 mm. Ie far enough so the disconnector operates but that’s it. I cannot obviously get the slide back far enough to remove the slide stop. Now if I cock the hammer and then for want of a better description shake the frame the slide moves back and forth the 2-3mm but there appears to be no spring tension on the slide and the barrel stays locked up in the slide. Any Ideas

I'll try to post pics later when I get home

The lug may be sheared off of the barrel.

the *&%&%* gun has only fired 250 rounds, only arrived last week. If this is the case how often does it happen??

Heres a pic but gun now wears a CMORE but dont have pic of it yet

normal_DSCF0044.JPG

I have fired some ammo that was loaded to long for a short throated gun and had a problem that sounds just like what you describe. I tried clearing it by holding the slide and striking the grip - forward - a number (a bunch of times) with no sucess. I let my gunsmith buddy Dwayne have it and - after a few more of the same he cleared the gun in the same manner I was attempting. I would Not have believed the long loaded round was the problem... but it was. :huh:

I have fired some ammo that was loaded to long for a short throated gun and had a problem that sounds just like what you describe. I tried clearing it by holding the slide and striking the grip - forward - a number (a bunch of times) with no sucess. I let my gunsmith buddy Dwayne have it and - after a few more of the same he cleared the gun in the same manner I was attempting. I would Not have believed the long loaded round was the problem... but it was. :huh:

Just to clarify the stuck case is a fired empty NOT a live round, fired OK and there were 6 holes in the target, equal to number fired. Also last shot was not louder or quieter than the previous 5. I suspect mechanical failure of some sort as primers on all the other fired cases are not showing pressure signs. Load is 9gn 3N38 behind 124gn CMP projectile. Problem is how to get the slide /barrel off to investigate, barrel is not unlocking from slide, not enough movement methinks but cheers for the replys guys appreciated

Another "DUH" moment for me... You only stated that TWICE in your post. :wacko:

No Worries happens to all of us especially me. Yes I have tried to gently knock it out with a squib rod but no movement

cock the gun, move the slide as far rearward as you can, then push down on the barrel through the ejector port.

this should allow barrel to drop out of lug engagement...hopefully. oncce the barrel is unlocked from the slide, the slide should be free to travel rearward...

if when the slide moves rearward, the barrel drops like it was being pulled from the locking lugs by the link and stops moving rearward when the barrels lower lug contacts the frame, what you have is a stuck case..

with the guns slide pulled as far to the rear as you can, insert wooden dowel into muzzle and tap the case out with a mallet.

or send it to gunsmith

Edited by harmongreer

cock the gun, move the slide as far rearward as you can, then push down on the barrel through the ejector port.

this should allow barrel to drop out of lug engagement...hopefully. oncce the barrel is unlocked from the slide, the slide should be free to travel rearward...

if when the slide moves rearward, the barrel drops like it was being pulled from the locking lugs by the link and stops moving rearward when the barrels lower lug contacts the frame, what you have is a stuck case..

with the guns slide pulled as far to the rear as you can, insert wooden dowel into muzzle and tap the case out with a mallet.

or send it to gunsmith

As we speak its on its way back to it's maker, If I cock the gun I can only move the slide back 2-3mm, far enough to work the disconnector and no further. I have tried what you suggest and cannot get the barrel to "unlock" at all ie no movement.

I was really mainly wondering what could cause such a immovable lock up of slide and barrel.

Cheers for all the advice though

Thanks for all your input guys, I'll let you know how it turns out

For the record the gun is in 38SC, has STI frame, barrel and slide, Konig hammer, C&S Sear and Disconnector, Comonoli Guide Rod and Underported Comp designed and Built by the manufacturing Gunsmith. He also built my STD gun which I have since sold to buy this.

Heres a pic of the finished article with C-More instead of JPoint, yes it is heavy but I'm not small either!!!!!!!!!!

normal_New%20STI.JPG

can u share pics of ur comp? :) thanks btw, who's ur smith, does he have a website? thanks again!!

Regards,

infinity

Infinity

Unfortunatly my gunsmith does not have a website and I doubt you will have heard of him as we both reside outside the USA, way down in New Zealand infact. Complete gun cost $5850 New Zealand Dollars approx, $1NZ=.68US cents. Cost was approx same as STI Grandmaster. As for the comp, Alan tells me its machined from a solid piece of barstock and takes about 2 days to make as he uses a manual mill! Each comp is custom built for each gun and he will customise it further if you want something different. Cost for the comp is $550NZ Dollars + fitting, I'll let you work out the conversion to Real Money but I think maybe approx $350US. As for Pictures I'll Post some but you'll have to wait until the gun comes back in its unjammed and working state!!!! May be next week.

Why did you switch from the JPoint to the C-More? Was it harder to track the JPoint? Please advise. Thanks.

JPoint was absolutly fantastic but I really wanted it for a saddle mount on my AR.

Swapped to C-More for pistol as I got one cheap, Also C-Mores are readilly availible in my country where as JPoints are not so If my C-More fails I can get one tomorrow but have to have a JPoint shipped from the USA 3-4 weeks

Well good news, gun is fixed. Problem was with the Underport Comp system, I asked for a threaded plug so I can clean out the Under Port. This for whatever reason had backed out far enough to contact the guide rod thus causing my problem. Gunsmith managed to get the slide / barrel off. Cut the thread in the comp deeper . Reinstalled the plug with a different type of locking compound. Shortened the guide rod by 2mm

And shipped it back. Hope to get it back tomorrow, test it in the weekend and If others still want photos I’ll post some next week.

Thanks for all the advice

Mike

Well good news, gun is fixed. Problem was with the Underport Comp system, I asked for a threaded plug so I can clean out the Under Port. This for whatever reason had backed out far enough to contact the guide rod thus causing my problem. Gunsmith managed to get the slide / barrel off. Cut the thread in the comp deeper . Reinstalled the plug with a different type of locking compound. Shortened the guide rod by 2mm

And shipped it back. Hope to get it back tomorrow, test it in the weekend and If others still want photos I’ll post some next week.

Thanks for all the advice

Mike

Can you tell me what an "Underport Comp system is? Seams to be plenty I not only don't know but, have never herd of

Thanks

Difficult to explain but I'll try

Directly in front of the barrel at the very begining of the comp there is a hole which leads to a chamber under the comp proper, this in turn leads to two small exit holes in the front of the comp, sooo the some exhaust gas is deflected down under and then up while the rest goes thru the normal top part of the comp. maybe someone else can explain it better. Theory is that gun shoots "flatter" and certainly seems the case in my limited experience. As I said I'll try and post some pic's next week of the comp if anyones interested? A pictures woth 1000 words as they say

Hmmm...could be the same as a Limcat turbocomp except that the little front holes blow up instead.

limcat_comp2.jpg

Yup looks very similar although I've never seen / shot or even held onto a Limcat of any sort. Way down here in the bottom of the world good things never seem to come in a hurry or great numbers. Hell NZ only has 3000 B Endorsed (Pistol Shooters) in total, (all firearms users must hold a current firearms licence or be under the direct supervision of someone who does) and of that number probably 600 shoot IPSC regularly. The numbers are so small my gunsmith says he could never make a full time living from it.

However I digress

Mike