Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old model powder measure, pivot screw keeps coming loose

I was trying to load a few hundred 9mm last night, I've got several Dillon powder measures but this was one of my older ones, if not the original from 1985. It has served me well but last night it was giving me fits, the pivot screw was constantly coming loose, I'd have to stop every 20 to 40 rounds to tighten it again, it would get so loose the little square nylon thing would jump out and the whole thing wouldn't work. I'm not quite sure why this has started doing this.  Any ideas?

I sent one to Dillon for the same reason and I got back a new updated powder measure. If you really want to fix it, check and adjust so it won’t go past it maximum travel.

When the pm goes past its max travel, it lifts up the metal piece that’s holding the white square plastic in place. I tried adjusting mine when I first started using the MBF powder funnel with the help of a Dillon tech but couldn’t get it to work so I just boxed it up, paid $15 for priority shipping and sent it to them. Within 10 business days, I received a new replacement powder measure.

The simple fix costs about 35 cents.  Go to the nearest Home Despot, Ace, etc... and pick up a 10-32 Nylock nut, or bag of nuts.  Replace the 10-32 Kep nut that is on the measure with the Nylock nut and tighten just tight enough to prevent the pin on the actuating arm from coming out of the white square drive block.  Repeat for all your other powder measures.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-10-32-Stainless-Steel-Fine-Nylon-Lock-Nuts-4-per-Pack-32111/202706355

2 hours ago, Ming the Merciless said:

The simple fix costs about 35 cents.  Go to the nearest Home Despot, Ace, etc... and pick up a 10-32 Nylock nut, or bag of nuts.  Replace the 10-32 Kep nut that is on the measure with the Nylock nut and tighten just tight enough to prevent the pin on the actuating arm from coming out of the white square drive block.  Repeat for all your other powder measures.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-10-32-Stainless-Steel-Fine-Nylon-Lock-Nuts-4-per-Pack-32111/202706355

This is the old model, there is a shoulder bolt that screws into the housing, it doesn't have a bolt that goes all the way through like the newer powder measures. Normally the bellcrank rotates on that bolt, but this one has apparently worn down till there isn't enough clearance. when you tighten the bolt, it locks up the bellcrank, which locks up the powder measure.

I called Dillon, they asked me to return the old powder measure and they will send me a new one, can't beat a deal like that!

• 3 weeks later...