Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 870 Questions

rwmagnus

Okay I'm looking for a pump gun most likely 870 (not looking to reinvent the wheel). I know there is a big following for this gun but could someone share with me what the most reliable model is? I read somewhere the "Express" has plastic parts in it so does that mean look for an older used 870 from the 80's, or a Police model?

I'd like to use it in 2 gun, SG and perhaps one day heavy metal 3 Gun. That said would an 870 Express Turkey gun be a good platform to start with?

I read somewhere the "Express" has plastic parts in it so does that mean look for an older used 870 from the 80's, or a Police model?

I'd like to use it in 2 gun, SG and perhaps one day heavy metal 3 Gun. That said would an 870 Express Turkey gun be a good platform to start with?

The only difference between the Express models and the Wingmaster models is the finish. Express models are parkerized and have a utility finish on the furniture. Wingmaster models are a polished blue and have a finer finish on the furniture.

The 870 Turkey was my choice for an all around pump. 21' barrel which is a good compromise with the main use being home defense and IPSC. Only thing to add is a mag extension and an improved cylinder or modified choke. Got mine recently and I'm very happy with it.

http://www.remington.com/firearms/shotguns/870extrky.htm

As far as reliability, probably the only difference would be the "flexi-tab" carrier. My 870 Police Magnum doesn't have one, and it worked with everything except Winchester Ranger police (!) slugs a few years ago.

I think all the trigger guards (which actually hold the entire safety/trigger/sear/hammer lockwork) are either plastic or pot metal.

There are quite a few differences between the "Police" and "Express" model.

Police model:

goes through a 23 station check list

built in a special build area with all parts hand inspected

has a longer mag spring for positive feeding

heavier sear spring (heavier trigger pull)

heavier carrier dog spring to keep the lifter up

no ISS (intergrated safety system/key lock on safety button)

shorter fore end so fits in a gun rack

parkerized or high luster blue finish

receiver is vibra honed to smooth out surface

barrel has ball detent for retention

machined ejector and extractor

$$

Express model:

need to drill out the dimples to add on mag extension

beadblast blue finish

synthetic trigger housing

synthetic mag spring retainer for barrel retention

powder metal cast ejector and extractor

$

The Express is a good gun, I just wouldn't use it for duty. I am not a Remington rep but went to armorer's school and got this info from them.

All 870's can be fitted with the flexi-tab system if you want. For competition stuff, the Express is fine. Maybe you find a nice cheap used one as a competition gun doesn't stay stock very long and gets a lot of parts replaced anyway. Used ones have the action smoothed from use.

barry B)

HI5-O very sweet post. Sounds like the police guns are more solid. Sometimes they can be found for a good deal as well. Very informative thanks.

Hank I agree I may be looking for a Turkey gun if I can't find a police special somewhere. Not in any hurry ans I have an 1100CM headed my way.

I got an 870 Turkey gun a while back. I think I paid maybe $320 NIB. I really like it. Add on a 9 round tube, open up/smooth out the loading port, and shoot it is about all you need to do.

I put some JB bore paste in the receiver to wear it in a little faster and show me where the high spots were.

I might add a fold down rear sight for the long slug shots and the two shots a year on no shit real turkeys.

In fact, its going to shoot some skeet and sporting clays this afternoon.

HI5-O very sweet post. Sounds like the police guns are more solid. Sometimes they can be found for a good deal as well. Very informative thanks.

Hank I agree I may be looking for a Turkey gun if I can't find a police special somewhere. Not in any hurry ans I have an 1100CM headed my way.

In my digging, asking, and calling, I should have stated. The police models are a different breed of 870. I haven't run into any police models, but if I do I'm picking it up.

Got a hot deal from gunbroker.com. Rem 1100 for $150. A bit rough but it shoots. Stock is damaged, mag follower is worn out, a bit of rust here and there from sitting in the duck blind. So what. All that is going to be changed out anyway. A perfect base for an IPSC shotgun. Can't wait to get it going. The 870 will still be there for clays and home defense. Or if I really get twisted and try Heavy Metal 3-gun....

Tom great advise using the JB compound. I bought Patrick Sweeney's book to learn something about shotguns. I use to shoot skeet and trap in the old days, preferred trap back then. My guess is I need to shoot it again to help bring back some skills. BTW delivery comformation says "the eagle has landed", I'll get it next week.

Hank it wasn't too long ago there was a special sale on police 870's but at the time I wasn't real interested. I can't even remember where it was! I picked up an synthetic Rem 870 factory stock and forend, tacstar forward pistol grip and brand new tacstar 6 shot side saddle ($35) and I don't even own an 870! I thought it was a nice price since the side saddle alone runs $35. I'm looking for a used old 870/police gun then a turkey model. Now the stock condition doesn't matter. Most likely will sell the forward pistol grip it was just wrapped up in the package deal.

The main reason for me getting an 870 is to try my hand at "Heavy Metal" 3G. Since CA laws are so messed up regarding the AR15 platform I figure this class levels the playing field some.

I found a used older (no plastic) 870 Express for $165 that works fine tell I go to fast, I pull on the forend so hard it won't release the bolt. So I found a used Winchester 1300 for $200. It's rotating bolt will release no matter how much you pull on the forend. It's a lot lighter so there is more recoil and the plastic parts that hold the mag tube are getting beat up. I have a random feeding problem also. I'm back to the reliable 870 and working on not crunching the gun.

Phil, The way i was trained and train others to use a shotgun makes the problem your having impossible.

As for express m odels, i like them a lot they are much lighter with an alloy reciever, i would take one of those over a heavier model any day. (i can handle recoil but hate lugging heavy things around for no reason) Both trigger guards are the same in modern guns. plastic, etc. and they are not on stress points that will break easily.

I found a used older (no plastic) 870 Express for $165 that works fine tell I go to fast, I pull on the forend so hard it won't release the bolt...

It's not a question of too fast. The Remington 870 requires neutral or forward pressure on the forend before you can pull back and cycle the action. You can do so immediately after firing. If you pull on the forend while the shot is fired it can get stuck, requiring you to push it forward or at least release the pressure before cycling. My preferred technique is to continue some forward pressure after closing the action, then cycle quickly as soon as the shot is fired. When the targets are close, cycle as quick as you can and pull the trigger exactly when you complete closing the action; that way there is no way to pull on the forend before firing. So you may need two basic techniques, one fast and one faster, as long as neither gets you to pull on the forend before firing the shotgun.

• 2 weeks later...
As for express m odels, i like them a lot they are much lighter with an alloy reciever, i would take one of those over a heavier model any day.

?? Are you referring to a different brand of gun? The 870's all use steel receivers whether they are Express, Wingmaster, or Police. The main parts difference are in the mag tube and there are several MIM parts in the Express models.