Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feeling The Hammer Drop During Live Fire, Crazy?

iweiny

Ok, so last night I shot a pretty good score at my slow fire league. Not my best but right up there (475/480). I noticed something which I don't think I have ever felt before. It seemed as though I could feel the hammer drop and hit the slide like I was dry firing and then the slide would start back... and I could feel the recoil. It is hard to explain and I could be imagining it. But I really felt like I could feel the gun do everything as it cycled. I have experimented with "surprise" hammer drops but this felt better, way better. Having the hammer drop and "surprise" me has always felt out of control. Like the gun was going to fly out of my hands. I knew it was going to fire but did not disturb the sights. Dry firing must really be helping me. :D

Anyone else ever feel like this?

Ira

No, but it's as neat a demonstration of awareness as any I've heard recently. Congratulations on getting so far.

Now, did ya TRY to do it, or did it just happen, and has it happened again? I'd settle for just the last two...

Now, did ya TRY to do it, or did it just happen, and has it happened again? I'd settle for just the last two...

TRY? No, just something I noticed. I was focusing on other things. After I was all done I sort of realized that many, not all mind you, of the shots felt "like I was dry firing". I am sure if I try to feel this again I will not... I have been dry firning just 5 min every night and morning to try and get my slow fire league scores up. As I posted in another thread I really want to get a perfect 480/480.

I have not shot since Monday and we don't shoot on this comming Monday, Halloween. Hopefully we will make it to the range on Sunday for some practice.

Wish me luck,

Ira

The whole surprise break thing has always been a foreign concept to me. How you can dry fire a gun twice and then ever be surprised by the break is a mystery to me. Sorry for the drift.

Shit trigger job.

Back to my hole. *gollum gollum*

The whole surprise break thing has always been a foreign concept to me. How you can dry fire a gun twice and then ever be surprised by the break is a mystery to me. Sorry for the drift.

Shit trigger job.

the springfield XD is like that!

i know what you mean john...ill never figure out how it can surprise you....unless it has a really crappy trigger...

i once had a old russian military rifle...you could pin the trigger to the trigger gaurd and sometimes it would fire...sometimes it wouldnt....sometimes it would fire when you let off of it..

broken spring and sear were the problem...once replaced, i never was surprised by when that gun went off. ;)

... because the awareness is not focused on the single point in time when the trigger is "supposed" to break. The maintenance of sight alignment and execution of trigger control are parallel processes that come together at the break of the shot resulting in a good shot when both are executed properly. This is different than the process of "I have good sight alignment, break the trigger NOW!" One follows the path of consciously trying to shoot each shot, the other is another step on the path to becoming a true observer of the shooting.

What's really wierd is if you are able to open up more and your "sphere of observation" increases on you'll begin to feel the springs in the gun work.

Shit trigger job.

Very likely so.

I remember messing with my CZ 75B trigger trying to make it work like my CZ Champion, and in the process I really screwed it up. In short, before the hammer would strike the pin its base would catch something else ( too long to explain) and it felt pretty much like that - first you feel the hammer fall, and a moment later the recoil begins. It turned out the hammer really was delayed on its way to strike the pin. So there was no awareness satory to me :(

I ended up ordering a whole bunch of factory parts for the 75B to restore the trigger function - now that was quite an enlightment!

Shit trigger job.

Very likely so.

I remember messing with my CZ 75B trigger trying to make it work like my CZ Champion, and in the process I really screwed it up. In short, before the hammer would strike the pin its base would catch something else ( too long to explain) and it felt pretty much like that - first you feel the hammer fall, and a moment later the recoil begins. It turned out the hammer really was delayed on its way to strike the pin. So there was no awareness satory to me :(

I ended up ordering a whole bunch of factory parts for the 75B to restore the trigger function - now that was quite an enlightment!

Well, I am pretty sure, it is not a bad trigger job. I just had the gun gone over by a smith. I did do this because I was mucking around with the trigger though. :huh::o

short_round, but does the shot really surprise you when you shoot? The more I think about it the more I think that surprise is the wrong word. More like... like... Ah hell I don't know. It seems like you will get used to when there is enough pressure in your finger to get the hammer to drop. But knowing when the shot will break does not mean the sights will not be aligned.

Now that I think a bit more about it, it was almost the oposite of the surprise break. Like from all the dry firing I knew exactly when the shot would break. So I could time the gun better. Start recoil recovery the instant the shot was clear. Man it sucks I am not going to get to shoot until Monday... :(

More confused than ever,

Ira

short_round, but does the shot really surprise you when you shoot?

It's not a "surprise" like when you go home and you have twenty people jump out of the closet screaming "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" It's more of a lack of expectation. A lack of "Pull the trigger ... NOW!"

The shot is what it was regardless of what I wanted it or not wanted it to be. This dictates my next action.

Well, I am pretty sure, it is not a bad trigger job. I just had the gun gone over by a smith. I did do this because I was mucking around with the trigger though. :huh::o ...

Try a different gun - see if you get a similar feeling.