Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No primer sensor

An issue I’ve been having with my 1100 is that sometimes the slide won’t provide a primer and by the time powder is dropped it starts to spill creating a mess on the plate. Is there an aftermarket primer sensor that will alert if no primer is inserted in the case? I know ammobot and MK have something similar. But I’m looking for  a stand alone sensor for this. 

Im wondering if you can install a digital endoscope in the press somehow, but this would require you watching a screen.

I think the sensors on the automated presses tell you when the primers in the tube are low. and when one is not dropped down the tube. I dont think they have anything for sensing that a primer was added.

4 hours ago, Chapo said:

An issue I’ve been having with my 1100 is that sometimes the slide won’t provide a primer and by the time powder is dropped it starts to spill creating a mess on the plate. Is there an aftermarket primer sensor that will alert if no primer is inserted in the case? I know ammobot and MK have something similar. But I’m looking for  a stand alone sensor for this. 

After watching this guy's ENTIRE video, and inspecting my RL1100, I figured he has an endoscope spotting primers for him.  I'm thinking he had it inserted in the frame hole that's just below the primer slide.  Should definitely show if a primer is IN the slide; but doesn't guarantee it gets seated in the brass.

https://youtu.be/ImeV6Nlj6rU

From what I've read, the Ammobot and Mk7 probes are checking for primer pocket size and being empty, or stopping the machine when the primer level gets too low.

IMO, making sure the primer magazine cap is loose/not even snug will help primer feeding!  And keeping the primer slide clean and properly adjusted will also promote trouble free priming.

💡

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

Maybe I'm missing something here.....................but have you members of this thread ever considered if your getting the correct powder drops?  Do you feel that the correct amount of powder being dispensed holds the same importance as to whether a primer has been inserted in a case during production? 

Has the Dillon powder measure now become 100% reliable?

Just wondering....................

🤔

1 minute ago, Chapo said:

In my set up, I drop the powder and observe the primer then I have a powder cop die then seat and then crimp. 

So, your using a combination seat/crimp die in Station #8..............good to hear you feel it important to monitor the powder drops also.

I'm in that camp that always uses separate seat and crimp dies.  ;)

👍

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

Maybe I'm missing something here.....................but have you members of this thread ever considered if your getting the correct powder drops?  Do you feel that the correct amount of powder being dispensed holds the same importance as to whether a primer has been inserted in a case during production? 

Has the Dillon powder measure now become 100% reliable?

Just wondering....................

🤔

I can look over the case to make sure there is powder in it. 

I drop powder and observe the primer with the camera. Next station I manually insert and seat bullet and on the last station I crimp. Oh, I also have the DAA  brass marker. So after crimp, they all in the chute, get marked. 

Haven't really had a problem with primers not getting inserted into the case.  Haven't had a problem with powder drops either but I do have a camera mounted over the bullet seating station to look into the case and verify that powder is there before seating the bullet.  If a primer doesn't get seated, the only problem it causes is spilled powder.  If powder doesn't get dropped, well let's just say the potential problem is harder to fix than spilled powder.  But this thread has got me to thinking about a way to have two camera pictures displayed on one screen so I could verify both primer and powder - just in case.  I've also been tinkering with building an inexpensive sensor to verify that brass is de-capped before it moves to the swaging station.  On my 1050, that's the most common failure.

Mvmojo, my thoughts exactly. Powder spills are a PITA. It even spills under the primer slide causing feeding problems causing you to have to disassemble the entire primer assembly. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2020 at 8:45 AM, mvmojo said:

...  I've also been tinkering with building an inexpensive sensor to verify that brass is de-capped before it moves to the swaging station.  On my 1050, that's the most common failure.

I'd love to see that. That would be way cool.