Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheely 2011 XL Magwell Insert Removal?

ilovevtac

Same technique as removing the insert from a Dawson Ice Magwell. Use a flat screwdriver blade and slide it between the magwell and the insert . Push straight down (don’t pry) on the screwdriver and the insert will distort and pop out of the magwell.

On 10/28/2020 at 8:11 AM, ilovevtac said:

Anyone have any tips or tricks to remove the magwell insert? Per the manufacturer, you have to push the insert inwards towards the center but mine is not budging at all.

Thanks!

I hear ya. I did the same to mine, just to GunKote the Magwell. Pried, WD40 and heated that Insert. Just couldn't get that damn thing out, unless I start screwing with the Magwell and damage that. That Insert is in there, nice tight fit too.

I said screw it, got the Soldering Iron and melted the Insert  all the way through on one side, just enough to pry it out. Saved the Magwell, not a scratch. Got the Magwell Gunkoted and just spent the $20 for a new Insert. If I ever have to change it again, I might stick it in the oven @350 for 30 mins, salt and pepper to taste. Maybe some veggies and garlic bread to go with it. 

18 hours ago, Hooked said:

Same technique as removing the insert from a Dawson Ice Magwell. Use a flat screwdriver blade and slide it between the magwell and the insert . Push straight down (don’t pry) on the screwdriver and the insert will distort and pop out of the magwell.

1 minute ago, Lastcat said:

I hear ya. I did the same to mine, just to GunKote the Magwell. Pried, WD40 and heated that Insert. Just couldn't get that damn thing out, unless I start screwing with the Magwell and damage that. That Insert is in there, nice tight fit too.

I said screw it, got the Soldering Iron and melted the Insert  all the way through on one side, just enough to pry it out. Saved the Magwell, not a scratch. Got the Magwell Gunkoted and just spent the $20 for a new Insert. If I ever have to change it again, I might stick it in the oven @350 for 30 mins, salt and pepper to taste. Maybe some veggies and garlic bread to go with it. 

Thanks for the replies guys! Glad I didn't have to try melting it off! Although I was seriously considering it if I couldn't get it out. After a couple of beers and a lot of swearing. Hooked's method worked! 

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, SufferInSilence said:

How about getting one put in? Mine isn’t budging. Trying to install it all night.  😩 

They do fit well!!  I remove the magwell from grip and place on carpet bottom up.  Position the insert, place a small block of wood on top of it then press that down with my foot.  Pops right in..  could do same in a vise but you still have to protect everything.