Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dillon 550c powder bar sticks

I have  a 550c for  45 acp(large primer) and a  550c for 9mm. The 500c for 45 acp was perfect from day 1. the 550c for 9mm  has a powder bar that sticks while returning to a closed position( while lowering the platform). Now the  one for 45 acp is doing it. I am thinking it is related to adjustments made to achieve proper belling of the cases. I have been adjusting the failsafe rod and it seems to help but doe s   not eliminate this issue. Thus I am forced to watch the powder  bar  on top of  being sure primers are seated  ( and seate d  correctly) as well  as  insuring that I have the proper powder charge in the casing before seating the  bullet

anyone else have this issue? anyone have a solution?

thanks

On 10/15/2020 at 8:56 AM, boatdoc173 said:

I have  a 550c for  45 acp(large primer) and a  550c for 9mm. The 500c for 45 acp was perfect from day 1. the 550c for 9mm  has a powder bar that sticks while returning to a closed position( while lowering the platform). Now the  one for 45 acp is doing it. I am thinking it is related to adjustments made to achieve proper belling of the cases. I have been adjusting the failsafe rod and it seems to help but doe s   not eliminate this issue. Thus I am forced to watch the powder  bar  on top of  being sure primers are seated  ( and seate d  correctly) as well  as  insuring that I have the proper powder charge in the casing before seating the  bullet

anyone else have this issue? anyone have a solution?

thanks

Please post a picture of of your press, with the ram all the way down, showing the failsafe rod and powder bar. My guess is that the failsafe rod is incorrectly installed / not tightened enough. 

@grumpy one. I went over the primer system and the powder system. My fail safe is straight up and down just like the dillon instructions, your post  and videos show. Tension is adjusted as they directed me to as well .

However , in searching for an answer, I found someone who loosened up  the screws on  the primer  system and the powder holder. It worked out well.

I still get few hang ups with the primer system. I am guessing that small primers shed a bit of stray metal and the tolerances in this system do not accommodate that easily.

it is odd that the system worked well from day 1  and now is getting finicky.again, this leads me to believ that debris is building up and blocking the bar movement. I blow it out or I pull back the handle and go forward again and all is smooth and easy

Edited by boatdoc173
errors