Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended Fo Sight Combination For 625?

AustinMike

Cuz, I think it will be just fine.....order from Brownells and keep your receipt in case it doesn't dial in and you need to trade it for the .312. I know I've used the .360 with factory front on a couple revos over the years, can't quite remember which guns and which bullet weights, though....

Thanks Carmoney. I ordered the .360 site and also a set of Pachmayr grips. Only I didn't get them from Brownells. I don't mind supporting them, but I can't afford to throw my money away either. Natchez had the rear site for more than $15 less. And the grips were over $7 less. That's a savings of over $22 on a $50 order. When I get the SDM front site I will order from Brownells as their price is reasonable for them.

-Cuz.

Yeah, I'll admit that Brownells makes more sense if you benefit from their dealer discount pricing.....can't blame you for wanting to save a buck....on the other hand, just keep in mind that Brownells has proven itself to be a very loyal and generous friend to our sport in an industry climate where many purveyors are turning their backs on competitive handgunning.

Brownells is also extraordinarily reasonable and helpful when it comes to things like returns and technical assistance--and there's a value in that, I think.

Just something to think about when the prices are close.

Mike

Cuz, I think it will be just fine.....order from Brownells and keep your receipt in case it doesn't dial in and you need to trade it for the .312. I know I've used the .360 with factory front on a couple revos over the years, can't quite remember which guns and which bullet weights, though....

Thanks Carmoney. I ordered the .360 site and also a set of Pachmayr grips. Only I didn't get them from Brownells. I don't mind supporting them, but I can't afford to throw my money away either. Natchez had the rear site for more than $15 less. And the grips were over $7 less. That's a savings of over $22 on a $50 order. When I get the SDM front site I will order from Brownells as their price is reasonable for them.

-Cuz.

I was a Natchez customer for a long time. They do nothing to support the shooter other than selling to them. They even refuse to ship components to MA now. When they started that, I dropped them from my vendor list. (All or Nothing)

Brownells has better service, better pricing, and they have donated to the MA state IDPA Championship shooter's bag for the last 4 years that I am aware of. They get my support also.

Regards,

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

The .360 Milletts don't quite work with the factory front site. I dialed mine all the way down and it still shoots about 4 inches low at 50 feet. Looks like I'll be ordering that .300 SDM site sooner than I had planned. I actually did pretty good with it at a plate shoot today. The rack was only about 40 feet away so aiming at the base of the plates worked fine.

-Cuz.

Is it worth replacing the factory rear sights for Millet? If so, what is the recommended SDM/Millet combination with a 5" barrel?

Hey Mike,

The Millett rear sight assembly is absolutely worth the investment--better by far than the factory unit or the aluminum Weigand replacement blade. Go with the .360" Millett and the .300" SDM f/o up front.

Mike

I just checked out the SDM webpage and they are recommending the .250 front site with the Millett .360 rears. Is there a big difference? Why might I want the .300 instead of the .250?

EDM Website quote:

"Example: existing front sight height .250" existing rear sight height .360

Use .300" high Super Sight and .410" Millet rear."

-Cuz

I just checked out the SDM webpage and they are recommending the .250 front site with the Millett .360 rears. Is there a big difference? Why might I want the .300 instead of the .250?

The web site is just saying that you need to raise front and rear sights equal amounts when making a change, so if you had a .250/.360 combination and you went to the .300 on the the front, they say you probably want to go .050 on the the rear up to .410.

However...I asked them about the sights directly and was told that regardless of blade height, the Millet sits on the gun about .050 higher than the factory Smith. So, .300 SDM and .360 Millet seems to work fine, as suggested by the gang out here.

Why go .300 on the front? Because Carmoney said so. :P It seems to work well for me too. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Got them sights in and installed finally. I love them! I had a blast trying them out last weekend. Thanks ya'll!

Here she is all decked out with the new sights, Miculek grips, and a trigger job. I hope to be practiced up and ready to compete with it the first of the year!

SW625_thumb.JPG

AusinMike,

I notice in your picture it looks like the sight fits perfectly on the base. I just had one installed on my gun and the site is longer than the flat part on top of the ramped base. The sight extends almost 1/16 of an inch past the end of the barrel and almost the same amount past the flat base of the ramp on the other side as well. Is that normal? I don't see how else it could have fit without trimming the actual site.

-Cuz.

Cuz, my sight has plenty of room to spare on the flat part. Maybe it's a difference in S&W models? Mine is a 625-3, 1989. Seems like I remember reading somewhere that others have reported some overhang with the SDM sight.

Cuz, my sight has plenty of room to spare on the flat part. Maybe it's a difference in S&W models? Mine is a 625-3, 1989. Seems like I remember reading somewhere that others have reported some overhang with the SDM sight.

That must be it. Mine is a brand new 625. They must have shortened the top part of the ramp. Wish I'd known that before I ordered it. Oh well. Live and learn.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

I have the same question as SIXSHOOTER. Whats best, the pain black or a white outline? I did order the SDM fiber and plain black Millet but after watching Jerry's video last night he says he likes the white outline. I am very very new to the sport and just want to get things right before this summer. Let me know.

Thanks

zip308, there is no right answer for everybody. It's pure personal preference. I don't like white outlines myself because I find them distracting. I have the plain black target rear and that works. However, my Glocks and 1911 have Dawson FO front and rear and I like that a lot. I'd have gotten that for my revolver rear if they made them. Lots of folks don't like the rear dots either. My eyes find it faster to line up 3 dots than the tops of the sights for some reason.

zip308;

Like AustinMike said, sights are a personal preference. I play a lot of accuracy intensive games so I've gotten used to a black front sight and black rear sight. I use a carbide lamp to make the sights real black so they'll stand out more.

I've tried fiber optic front sights and found that I shot high with them (nothing a little elevation change couldn't fix). I like being able to focus on the front sight as it sits in the notch. If I need speed I just make sure the post is in the general area in the notch and squeeze the trigger. If I need accuracy (far plates, head shots by penalty targets, etc.) I can take the time to make sure everything is how it should be before I commit to the shot.

As to the whole "what Jerry does" topic the guys on the forum have discussed this before. Jerry changes things all the time. The only thing that stays the same is his desire and ability to win. Jerry uses fiber optic front sights, smooth triggers, plain black rear sights, lightened rebound springs, etc.

We've all heard this one before, but here it goes: Just because a top shooter uses X technique, X gun, or X whatever, doesn't mean if you use the same stuff you'll get the same results. The only piece of equipment everybody needs is to know the fundamentals of marksmanship (sight alignment, trigger control) and competition (don't psyche yourself out, don't get overconfident, etc.). Somebody with a mastery of those two concepts will always beat somebody without them, regardless of how cool the guys stuff looks.

This forum is a great place, and some of the guys on this forum have humbled quite a few shooters with $1500 high cap 1911's using $400 six shot revolvers through application of the aforementioned tools of the trade. That's not to say guys with $1500 high caps are chumps, I know quite a few of them that I wouldn't mess with either ;) .

Thanks to both for the great responce. I just want to start out in the right direction without having to change things alot down the road and get me more confused than I am already. I will give the FO on black a try and continue to practice and learn.

• 3 weeks later...