Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommend an Eye Doctor in Atlanta area

RGC

I am looking for suggestions on an eye doctor that can prescribe vision wear for a shooter.

I have great distance clarity, but my 50 year old eyes have progressed poorly over the past couple years in seeing where that iron sight is fitting into the rear sight.

I do not want to do red dots....as want to stick to single stack for the limited amount of shooting I can do with a 3 year old and 100% travel.

Just need to know if any Atlanta area member could recommend me someone whom understands the needs of the sport........appreciated!

Can't help you with a Dr down there, but Youngeyes gave me some advice that has helped my iron sight shooting greatly.  I wear a +1.5 multifocal contact in my dominant eye and straight distance prescription in my non-dominant eye.  I can the the serrations on the front sight again.  

9 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Can't help you with a Dr down there, but Youngeyes gave me some advice that has helped my iron sight shooting greatly.  I wear a +1.5 multifocal contact in my dominant eye and straight distance prescription in my non-dominant eye.  I can the the serrations on the front sight again.  

Hmm.  Thats interesting.  Prescriptions?

My distance is still fine. the sights are a mess right now.  Glued to screens for 12 hours a day during this Covid mess not helping.  

It's been an absolute blessing for me.  The last trip to my local eye Doc, (who I love) got my distance vision to 20/15, but I couldn't even read my odometer to complete my car book each day.  Youngeyes made a suggestion and I took his advice.  It took a few tries to dial in the right lens, but I'm extremely happy.  

With my reading glasses (1.5X drug store specials) the sights look perfect, but of course my distance is gone.  I have never worn a contact lens in my life though, but maybe trying the same magnification in my strong eye only?  

My problem was like yours. With magnified lenses, the front sight is clear but distant objects are blurry. When I went to my eye doctor two years ago, she had me stretch out my hand to mimic my shooting stance and place the number/letters at that distance and had me read them so she can determine which lenses to prescribe. This is very important! She also check my distance vision and it was 20/15 right/left. 

She prescribed me with a .75 lens for my right (dominant) eye and no magnification for my left. With this setup, the front sight is clear through my right eye and the distant targets are clear through my left eye. I then took the prescription and had Oakley make the glasses for me.

By the way, I also wear 1.75 readers. My doctor recommended contacts but I told her that I prefer glasses since I will only be using them when I shoot anyway. I think she called it mono vision and can either be glasses or contacts.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, George16 said:

My problem was like yours. With magnified lenses, the front sight is clear but distant objects are blurry. When I went to my eye doctor two years ago, she had me stretch out my hand to mimic my shooting stance and place the number/letters at that distance and had me read them so she can determine which lenses to prescribe. This is very important! She also check my distance vision and it was 20/15 right/left. 

She prescribed me with a .75 lens for my right (dominant) eye and no magnification for my left. With this setup, the front sight is clear through my right eye and the distant targets are clear through my left eye. I then took the prescription and had Oakley make the glasses for me.

By the way, I also wear 1.75 readers. My doctor recommended contacts but I told her that I prefer glasses since I will only be using them when I shoot anyway. I think she called it mono vision and can either be glasses or contacts.

Good luck.

Thank you.

On 9/21/2020 at 10:29 PM, RGC said:

I am looking for suggestions on an eye doctor that can prescribe vision wear for a shooter.

I have great distance clarity, but my 50 year old eyes have progressed poorly over the past couple years in seeing where that iron sight is fitting into the rear sight.

I do not want to do red dots....as want to stick to single stack for the limited amount of shooting I can do with a 3 year old and 100% travel.

Just need to know if any Atlanta area member could recommend me someone whom understands the needs of the sport........appreciated!

Following this I need one as well to set my glasses up. Tried several different ways okay but could be better I think