Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

load ammo to fit all guns or ream chamber

Sandbagger123

If all you are doing it 'throating' your barrel, you only need the finishing reamer.  Insert the well oiled reamer and turn by hand.  You will feel the blades cutting the lands.  You do not need a lot of pressure.  To give you an example, the 'T' on a Manson reamer handle is only 3" long.  That tells you you don't need a lot of leverage.  Now you have two choices.  One is you can cut, clean, test, repeat until your load plunks and spins.  If you bought the reamer this is okay, because you can always go deeper if you change bullet profiles, or decide to load longer.  I always throat to full depth.  With a Manson reamer that is .055".  A Clymer is very close to the same, but I don't have the exact measurement.  If you are throating full depth you just keep turning the reamer until everything gets smooth.  When you stop feeling the lurches from cutting lands, you will be bottoming on the front of the chamber.  Stop, clean and shoot jacketed or plated bullets to remove any burrs.  There probably won't be any, but the edges of the lands will be razor sharp.  If you shoot poly coated before jacketed you will get a LOT of smoke, and possibly some leading.

If your chamber is short and you need to make it deeper, you need a Go Gauge in addition to the reamer.  You don't need a No Go Gauge, because you are doing this by hand and you won't be taking off more than you need.  In this situation you'll be throating your barrel to full depth while you are lengthening the chamber.  Be careful.  Go slow, especially in 9mm.  That is a tapered case and you will be cutting the side walls as you go deeper.  You do not want any chatter marks, so go slow.  Just to give you an example:  the last Barsto 9mm 1911 barrel I fit had a short chamber that needed to be deepened by .006".  I put the reamer in and applied no more pressure than you would by just leaning your hand on it.  Six turns and I had removed .003".  New reamers cut like butter, so be careful.

On 9/5/2020 at 8:16 AM, BadShot said:

I just bought a finishing reamer from Brownells and did my CZ myself.  One load works for all my 9mm guns.

sweet. I might go this route for future builds. I ended up farming 2 barrels out (both for 9MAJ)

12 minutes ago, Sandbagger123 said:

got the reamer today. Couple of turns and it is done.  can even load PD 124 hp to 115.5 and it still plunks.  worth the $60 and another tool in the arsenal 

Where did you get it for $60? Will it cut a melonited barrel?

Mark

56 minutes ago, Sandbagger123 said:

I just got the standard manson one.  Anyone know if these can be resharpened ? 

It's not worth the bother or expense.  They last a long time if you are careful with them.  When it gets dull throw it away and buy another.  When you are chambering by hand you want a SHARP reamer.