Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

load ammo to fit all guns or ream chamber

Sandbagger123

i just got a taurus G3 and the chamber is one where the lead is not throated.   some of the ammo i have made, 147  TC at 1.13 will not chamber in it.  i need to take it to 1.10 to have it chamber.  i have encountered this with some euro pistols before. 

i shoot a lot of 9mm.    now should i just make it so it chambers in any gun or throat the chamber on the new gun.  

Edited by Sandbagger123

Load some shorter and see if it works in all your other guns first. Be simplest and cheapest thing to do without making changes to things you cant unchange. If short stuff works in all your guns you are in like Flynn.
for  Me ? In 40 I reamed the chamber of one barrel, but thats because shorter ammo didnt work in all my 40's

Edited by Joe4d

I would adjust the ammo to work in all my guns. I do notice that the RN coated Bullets have a shorter fatter shape than the RN plated or jacketed and that forces me to load them shorter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loading short increases chamber pressure unless you also reduce the powder charge.  There is no harm in doing this, but I prefer to throat.  It costs me $20 to have a barrel throated.  Even so, I recently bought a finishing reamer just so I didn't have to make trips to the gunsmith.

10 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I also load short. I find the gun that is the pickiest and load a couple hundred rounds based on that gun and do a quick check in others then do large runs as long as everything passes

We do this. Pickiest gun is a CZ75, next is a Taccom PCC barrel. Between the 3 of us we have 3 different pistols & 3 different 9mm PCC's. Depending on bullet weight and profile I plunk tested until I found what would work in all of them. Load all the same with no problems.

gerritm

30 minutes ago, gerritm said:

We do this. Pickiest gun is a CZ75, next is a Taccom PCC barrel. Between the 3 of us we have 3 different pistols & 3 different 9mm PCC's. Depending on bullet weight and profile I plunk tested until I found what would work in all of them. Load all the same with no problems.

gerritm

No quibble if that works for you.  I'm surprised the Taccom was a problem.  They advertise 1.150" OAL will work in their barrels.

Anyway, when I tried that the shortest OAL would not feed in some of my pistols, especially 45s.  All my 9mm Open guns are reamed to accept 1.165" JHPs.  All other 9mm barrels have been throated to the full .055" leade a Manson reamer provides.  My shortest 45 barrel was reamed to accept 1.255' SWC bullets, even though I load to 1.124".

So we are essentially doing the same thing- making each barrel shoot the same ammo.  You managed it with shorter OALs.  I had to ream.  OP, take note.  Shorter OALs may not work for you either.

All of the minor load PCC's & pistols work, including the Taccom & CZ with .355 115/124gr RN plated/FMJ loaded to at least 1.12/1.13, have never gone that far out to 1.15. I have used 115s up until a few months ago for all 6 guns. Only had to start loading shorter due to the bullet shortage & started using coated .356 RN 124's @ 1.09/1.10 OAL. They have a fatter profile. So reason behind plunk testing & finding the right OAL that works.

My open major is totally different and loaded to 1.16 with .355-124 JHP. 

Guess I could have reamed them, but never had a need until recently. So if you change bullet profile, weight, diameter, or coating, plunk check the barrel to make sure they will work.

gerritm

No quibble if that works for you.  I'm surprised the Taccom was a problem.  They advertise 1.150" OAL will work in their barrels.

Anyway, when I tried that the shortest OAL would not feed in some of my pistols, especially 45s.  All my 9mm Open guns are reamed to accept 1.165" JHPs.  All other 9mm barrels have been throated to the full .055" leade a Manson reamer provides.  My shortest 45 barrel was reamed to accept 1.255' SWC bullets, even though I load to 1.124".

So we are essentially doing the same thing- making each barrel shoot the same ammo.  You managed it with shorter OALs.  I had to ream.  OP, take note.  Shorter OALs may not work for you either.

I also had a problem with going too short and having feeding issues with blue bullets 147rn. My solution was to switch bullets to the FP/TC profile and that fixed the problem. If you’re in love with a certain bullet you may not want to do that, but it was an easy fix for me because I only ordered a sample to try before figuring that out. If I had a couple cases and ran into the same problem I might go for a different solution like you did.

The big reason I don’t team my barrels is because I don’t want to have to send my gun out to he worked on, and even though I could probably handle it, I don’t want to it myself either. So that’s why I personally went for changing ammo

The correct OAL needed has more to do with feeding reliability than chambering. Throating a chamber to accept longer OAL ammo that actually feeds reliably is a no brainer to me. Check out the below thread I started about OAL vs feeding. Even though this thread is focused on 1911/2011 style pistols it pretty much applies to all auto load pistols.

19 hours ago, Sandbagger123 said:

i just got a taurus G3 and the chamber is one where the lead is not throated.  

Reaming the chamber might affect accuracy in a negative way.  Would I ream out a CZ S2?  No way. 
But with a < $300 Taurus I might consider it if there were no cost involved.  

30 minutes ago, lll Otto lll said:

Reaming the chamber might affect accuracy in a negative way.  Would I ream out a CZ S2?  No way. 
But with a < $300 Taurus I might consider it if there were no cost involved.  

Might, but probably not.  I throated one of my 1911 45 bullseye pistols, two 9mm Open guns and a 1911 9mm.  Every one of them will put ten rounds through the SAME (not one, same) hole at 15 yards.  My throated bullseye gun will shoot 100 8/9/10 X at 25 from a Random Rest.  Unfortunately, not in my hands.  So the notion you loose accuracy from throating is really not true.  BTW, everyone of the guns I mentioned costs substantially more than a CZ S2.  If I had the slightest doubt about accuracy, I would not have done it.

If you’re shooting minor PF the differences in OAL will not cause you any “pressure” issues, what it will do is not optimize the load for a particular gun. Personally, with the distances we shoot accuracy is adequate using one load in all my guns. 

However, I was sighting in red dots on two “fun guns,” both PCCs, with my pistol load of 147 130+ PF. At 25 yards one of them shot a 1+” group and the other was 2.5” using the same ammo. If I were to optimize the the ammo for each gun I think it would be a pain.  

I had my Bull Shadow reamed so I could stay with the load I currently used in my SP01. Using 135tc’s loaded at 1.135 they would not plunk in the Bull Shadow. In order for them to plunk I had to load them at 1.1, having the barrel reamed didn’t affect the accuracy of the gun at all.

19 hours ago, Sandbagger123 said:

so i tried some 124 fMJ  @1.13 that has worked in every 9mm i own and its balking in the taurus.  i think i will just ream it.  So who makes a good reamer and what type do i get?

If you want to buy a reamer, get a Clymer or Manson finishing reamer.  I've used both.  I ended up buying a Manson.  You can also rent a reamer.

I did it by hand.  I just put the barrel in the vice with some leather on each side, put the reamer in a handle, oiled up the barrel, did a couple of turns on the handle.  Let the reamer do the work.  I then cleaned the barrel out and chamber checked the ammo.  I think I just had to do this twice.  Must have worked, no more problems, and the gun is still really accurate.

On 9/4/2020 at 11:54 AM, Sandbagger123 said:

so i tried some 124 fMJ  @1.13 that has worked in every 9mm i own and its balking in the taurus.  i think i will just ream it.  So who makes a good reamer and what type do i get?

rent one.

On 9/3/2020 at 1:38 PM, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I also had a problem with going too short and having feeding issues with blue bullets 147rn. My solution was to switch bullets to the FP/TC profile and that fixed the problem. If you’re in love with a certain bullet you may not want to do that, but it was an easy fix for me because I only ordered a sample to try before figuring that out. If I had a couple cases and ran into the same problem I might go for a different solution like you did.

The big reason I don’t team my barrels is because I don’t want to have to send my gun out to he worked on, and even though I could probably handle it, I don’t want to it myself either. So that’s why I personally went for changing ammo

Just have to say unlike some other jobs that need a bit of skill this one really is a no brainer for anyone that can reload ammo and tap a hole. Your not gonna FUBAR anything.
As mentioned above , put barrel in a vice with some leather. ( like old work glove finger.  Use a standard tap holder. Stick the reamer in the chamber with some light oil. with light , and I mean LIGHT pressure give it a few turns. Back it out spray it with WD 40,, stick your dummy round in.... Repeat until your dummy round "Plunks".

If you are going to be doing this alot buy a reamer from Brownells.  but I have only needed to do this once on a Barsto Para 40 barrel. 
I used these guys.. ( no relation)  was cheap. Mailed me reamer, did my job , mailed it back
https://4drentals.com/