Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to get faster splits?

faster

I can't reliably get under .18 seconds to save my soul. I"m running a box stock Govt 9mm 1911. I mean I can't get faster even with my eyes shut, just ripping off strings of fire into the berm.  Are there gun tuning tricks that actually make a difference,  or is it all in the shooter?  I never did reliably get under .16's, altho I have occasionally popped a .15. 40 years ago.

Just now, GJM said:

Most likely, you are gripping too hard with your strong hand. 

This. Crush the gun with the weak hand and relax your strong hand. Let the weak hand drive the gun and the strong hand run the trigger.

And focus on resetting the trigger instantly; by the time the gun is thinking about coming back down you should be in the pocess of slapping it backward a second time.

Pull it, let your finger bounce off the front of the trigger guard and slap that thing again. Forget all notions of riding reset or maintaining contact with the trigger - at first. Punching out splits this fast and with more precise trigger control comes with time. 

Do dry fire Bill drills on a tight timer, no more than 1.6 seconds, and for the moment don't think too much about sights or sight picture. Just go for the speed of draw followed by the raw trigger speed. 

Dry fire allows you to relax and find out your physical limitation. Until you can do it in dry fire, don't try to push the live fire since you won't be there.