Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 S&w With Imr Powders

revchuck

Folks - I recently got a Steyr M40 and need to find out some powders which may be workable. I bought some IMR powders (7625, 4756 and PB) to use in a project trying to come up with a non-+P .38 Special load with 158 grain lead bullets that will make a 130 PF from a four inch barrel, and was wondering whether anyone has tried these powders in .40 S&W. My goal at this time is to come up with loads with both lead and jacketed bullets that will approximate factory 180 grain loads (~950 fps from a four inch barrel). I'd also appreciate recommendations on other non-VV powders - hey, I'm cheap, get over it. :P

This is not time sensitive, since my carport/loading area is currently three feet high thanks to a three-foot-diameter pine tree blown over onto it during Rita. :angry:

Thanks!

I'm switching to SR7625 in .40 (long loaded). I've chronographed it with a couple different 180 gr bullets and all is well.

One powder to rule them all, One powder to find them,

One powder to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

IMR actually has some 40 loads on their website. I am about to try 7.8 gr of 7625 under a Rainier 135hp for open class with a Glock 35 with KKM comp barrel. Will be going to the range later today. Will post how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

start at 4.5 grains 4756 and a 180 lead/precision/moly coat bullet

i think i was at 5.2 grains and it seemed to shoot great. this was a major load.

I havent tried seventy-six twenty-five in the forty..it should be good too.

IMR actually has some 40 loads on their website. I am about to try 7.8 gr of 7625 under a Rainier 135hp for open class with a Glock 35 with KKM comp barrel. Will be going to the range later today. Will post how it goes.

dmedley,

I am using the same setup, do you have any info to share yet?