Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zero distance for sights and optics - what do you prefer?

Desk-Jockey

i ran my glocks with fixed sights for years in IdPA.   A combo of aging eyes and more frequent longer shots in USPSA has me thinking about options.   I am going to try out an adjustable sight on my production gun and am working to a transition to carry optics.

what distance do you zero your sights for on carry optics or open guns?

i am thinking either 20 or 25 yards and then I can figure out holdovers closer in and further out.  

shool me,

DJ

I think my guns are zeroed at 10 yards. @eerw would know the distance CZC zeros fixed sights to.

I've never used a hold over and some matches here ask you to shoot full size pepper poppers at 50 - 70 yards.

Edited by belus

Ignore the header, I plugged in 1050 FPS, 125 grain bullets and 0.4" sight height above axis. 

15 yards would work, seems like I am more confident of the zero at this range.

ballistic_trajectory_chart_6ed184a3.png.9c6d08d07f80b31c7c2d6943073bbeae.png

25 looks better if you can group shoot well enough and your bullets fly straight enough to zero the gun precisely.

25ballistic_trajectory_chart_36cf2d8b.png.8be2d006bc4709b2bf8f774eca22f57a.png

There are several free ballistics calculators on the internet. 

Edit: Plugged in 115 grain and 1400 fps under the assumption that was characteristic for an open gun. 0 - 50 yards and you are always within 1" of zero both at 15 and 25 zero's. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

for irons I like 25 yards from a rest, then confirm freestyle.  Trajectory isnt gonna amount to anything, but the longer distance will magnify errors and give a more precise zero.

Far as optics ? dunno on that one. I am having issues with this.  My gun is set  with a carver bridge mount and a Viper reddot. Figure about same height as an old school C more. Gun will be used exclusively at 29 feet...   Although I am dead on at 25 yards, I am still a bit low at 7 yards ( 21 feet).. ran out of vertical adjustment.  Was hitting about 1 inch low at 7 yards. Havent tried at 10 yet.