Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax unscrewing

Cowguy

As I shoot my versamax the choke tubes, the end cap for the magazine and the magazine itself unscrew. It doesn’t take more than 15 or less for it to happen. I’m afraid to tighten it too tight but I’m getting it tight to start with. Does anyone have any help?

Nordic mag tube:

1) Get yourself a Nordic barrel clamp.

2) Apply some anti-seize or petroleum jelly to the threads of the shotgun's integral magazine tube (the part permanently attached to your receiver).

3) Install the barrel and the extension nut only as tight as you can by hand (no extension tube, spring or follower).
4) Apply blue Loctite to the thread of the extension tube, then screw it into the nut until it JUST touches the integral magazine tube, then back off a tad.

5) Install the barrel clamp, then let the Loctite set-up.

6) When removing the magazine extension (e.g. for cleaning), remove it as a unit with the nut.

Choke tubes: I just use silver anti-seize and re-tighten periodically. You want it to be removable. Or just do what Kurt Miller does and red Loctite the LM choke tube in there and call it good :roflol:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

My choke tube likes to come loose, also. I bought a proper wrench and tighten it down before a match but still have to check it part way through the match and re-tighten if needed. Not always needed. No Loctite for me, I might want to change it someday.

15 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

Choke tubes: I just use silver anti-seize and re-tighten periodically. You want it to be removable. Or just do what Kurt Miller does and red Loctite the LM choke tube in there and call it good :roflol:

This!  I put a liberal generous amount on my choke tubes.  If it does loosen, it's generally less than a quarter turn.  I use extended choke tubes, so at the pre-load table I just automatically check and hand tighten if necessary.  The only downside is, getting that silver crap on everything you touch if you get it on your hands while changing choke tubes.

Nolan

I would rather re-tighten my choke and mag tube every time I pick up the VM (which I do, or did before they killed 3gun in Canada), than put anti-seize on all my chokes. That stuff is like Covid, it spreads everywhere. And I would need an N95 choke storage system to attempt to contain it.