Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wild Life Picture...

Ron Ankeny

I took this photo on Saturday (opening morning of deer season). Please excuse the quality. The digital camera I used is kind of cheap and optical zoom is a lame excuse for not getting in closer. I could only get within about 25 yards before the deer startled and jumped to his feet.

deer.jpg

I know this is not a hunting forum and I also know discussions about killing critters are (in general) to be avoided. Just so you know, for personal reasons, I did not shoot this deer. Ain't he purdy?

i hear that. make sure we get some pics from that hunt and hopefully i'll tag a few here in new york, i've got 4 doe tags, 1 buck tag for regular gun season and 1 buck or doe tag for muzzleloader season. i'll be fillin' the freezer and stackin' em like cord wood. :D.

Guys, I'm here in Iowa,,,,my house sits in between a few hundred acres of corn and soy beans. There's a creek in the valley behind my place,,,,,loads of ponds the farmers have for their livestock. Being on the ridge, we all have a lot of timber for cover,,,,,,

The critters eat well, grow well, and are all over the place.

You wouldn't believe the critters we grow around here.....monsters I say.

H4444

Guys, I'm here in Iowa,,,,my house sits in between a few hundred acres of corn and soy beans. There's a creek in the valley behind my place,,,,,loads of ponds the farmers have for their livestock. Being on the ridge, we all have a lot of timber for cover,,,,,,

The critters eat well, grow well, and are all over the place.

You wouldn't believe the critters we grow around here.....monsters I say.

H4444

OK then, where is my invitation? :unsure:

OK, it's not a hunting forum, but here's why I didn't shoot the critter. I don't have a place for a mount and I already have a nice wall hanger overlooking my computer desk. It just seemed a waste for a local like me to shoot a deer like that and toss the antlers up in the rafters out in the garage. People travel thousands of miles for a once in a lifetime opportunity and it would just be wrong for me to take the deer out of the gene pool for bragging rights to a deer I won't put on display. Frankly, I would have loved to have had a guy like Dan or Benny along. I would have been whispering, "Shoot that sum bitch, shoot him now." :lol:

Ron, that is one of the classiest things I have ever heard from another hunter. I hope as you have taught kids in the past you passed along some of your hunting ethics like that as well. I hope I meet you so I can shake your hand.

Doug Carden

believe me i don't shoot em' just to shoot em'. i'd pull the trigger on that one not just for the trophy but for the meat too because i aint just a trophy hunter but i usually eat what i shoot. i've had people tell me they think hunting is cruel while they're standing there eating a cheese burger but if they ever saw how beef cattle are raised and slaughtered they would never eat another burger. i agree with ron completely, if you have no need for it why take it, on the other hand i have never taken a mule deer so the lead would have been flyin' at that one. ;)

No hunting pictures on this forum? Geez, the only reason I have not sent my Open gun to Bedell for upgrades is I want to post picts of Open gun deer hunting this fall!!!

I have shot them with my Kimber .45, but now it is time for STI to bag a deer!