Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limcat Stealth holster

I have never owned one and my opinion is based on obsevations of other shooters using them. My buddy ordered one and sent it back 2 weeks later and ordered a Ghost.  They are secure and adjustable but they are flimsy. They move when the gun is drawn. I use a Ghost and I like it a lot. Very stiff (does not move when the gun is drawn) and very adjustable. Do not buy a Ghost unless you are willing to give up the ability to ever comfortably use any other holster.

(Edited by Singlestack at 4:33 pm on Sep. 18, 2001)

Gotta disagree with Singlestack's opinion.

The Limcats can be easily modified by obtaining the "shim" that he designed for myself and Ellen when we complained about it not fitting right around our hips. The lower profile is much more comfortable to wear...

Also, the Stealth does not require drilling your trigger guard.  And the Ghost is not nearly as secure as the Stealth - I asked Bruce Gary and and 3 of the guns dropped at Area 1 were out of Ghosts - ZERO drops from Limcats.

The only benefit to the Ghost is that it is less expensive, but in this instance, you do get what you pay for.

We are going to have to agree to dissagree. The ONLY way a gun can come out of a Ghost is operator error. Been using it for over a year and know it well. Something would have to break for a gun to come out of a locked Ghost. I have dropped mine but it was operator error. I failed to lock it. If you fail to lock a Limcat the same thing is possible.

How can the "profile" be lower? Think about it. The grip can not be below your belt. They have the same profile. They both lock on the trigger guard.

No "shim" is necessary with the Ghost and it has 1 more axis of adjustment than the Limcat. The Ghost is more secure than the Limcat because it uses 3 points to secure as oppsed to 2 with the Limcat. If you unlock a Limcat the only thing holding it is friction as opposed to the Ghost which has a pin in the trigger guard and friction. The Lock on the Ghost is also much easier to release than the Limcat.

The only benefit to the Limcat is no hole in the trigger guard is required.

If you want an overpriced holster that moves all over the place when you draw and is less adjustable then you will get what you pay for with the Limcat.

I said I never owned one. I did not say I never played with one.

(Edited by Singlestack at 4:35 pm on Sep. 18, 2001)

I'm firmly on the Limcat side.

Here's why.

There's much less stuff on the Limcat. That's the upside, and also the downside.

What there is, is not so easily adjustable. I got mine from a guy who didn't like it and sold it to me cheap.

Turns out he didn't have it adjusted properly to his gun, it wouldn't lock in, fell out and DQd him once (since we were both using the same model gun, I tried mine just after I got it - it wouldn't lock, wouldn't even sit inside the guard lock, just on top of it. The slack was taken up solely by the cant adjustment screw. No wonder he didn't like it).

I had to take the holster off its mount and adjust it on the gun, (whereas most other holsters, you put the holster on, put the gun in the holster, and adjust). Limcat does this the other way around, for me. Fit the holster to the gun, then put it on. Slightly more difficult to get your head around, but not much more than that.

Once the holster was properly fitted to the gun (actually, to the trigger guard, there's not much else to it), it locked smoothly and properly, you could hold it upside town and shake it, no way will it fall anywhere except if you broke it with a sledgehammer.

Unlocked, ditto, except for the one angle you need to draw the gun, i.e. directly along the axis of the holster.

If you draw sloppy, i.e. more than, say 5 degrees off, you're slapping the holster and it will hang occasionally, depending on how much you're off. If you're on, you don't even feel it's there. So you have to practice your draw so the gun leaves the holster smoothly. So what else is new? :-)

Other adjustments are easy and fine. You do need Allen keys and maybe a brass hammer to make it work when you get it - it's definitely not a "work-outof-the-box" proposition. So spend a little more time, maybe a half an hour, in the beginning, when you first get the holster, to learn how it works, make sure it's set up right from the start.

After that I don't think I've touched it since.

Haven't needed to.

I'm not knocking the Ghost, I think it's good. It's just the Limcat appeals to me because of its lightness, its sheer elegance.

I like that.

I've played and played with my Limcat holster over the past 3 days since you posted this, john - and I can't get it to wiggle, move or otherwise do anything that it's not supposed to....

My belief is that the holster you "played" with and that you're friend returned weren't set properly.  Once you've got the holster adjusted, the gun just ain't coming out!  (UNLESS you knock you're knee into if you're kneeling and it's not locked - pops out real easy then!)

I haven't played with a Ghost holster because I LOVE the Limcat Stealth and will probably never switch!!!

I also have a HUGE problem with any product that directly steals a neat gimmick from someone else...

It is possible the setup was wrong....

The wiggle I was refering to was when the pistol was drawn, to me, it seemed that the belt clamp did not have enough surface to prevent the holster from moving.

"(UNLESS you knock you're knee into if you're kneeling and it's not locked - pops out real easy then!)"

Thats exactly how I dropped mine out of the Ghost......

I am somewhat of a brass rat.....

You should give the Ghost a try. You might like it. :)

I was unaware that the Ghost is a Limcat knock off. But on the other hand, thats where we get a lot of good things. Somebody makes a product and then somebody else makes it better. Take S_I for example.........

I've had a Limcat for about a year now and think it's outstanding. One of it's best attributes is it's size. Being that it is so small it's never in the way. Especially when your kneeling you don't have a holster sticking into your thigh. The only negative thing I've ever had happen to me is last winter when it was REALLY cold. I didn't consider the effects of the cold on the parts and the pivot screw came lose. Nothing a quick trip to the safe area, allen wrench and locktite couldn't fix. I think that could happen to any holster. My fault, not the holster.

Aw shucks, you're making me blush :-)

I should point out, that I'm really not a blonde, I'm a redhead!  But I do have real, honest to God, BLONDE MOMENTS.

And... I'm glad you liked the tip!  The local hardware stores sells velcro with sticky backs in 2" circles, just paste that sucker on and you're set!

(Edited by Shooter Grrl at 8:57 pm on Sep. 21, 2001)

A fellow USPSA shooter just won a Limcat holster and is selling his (used) Ghost for $75 delivered inside the US. It's on the USPSA member's website, if anybody's interested...

Kath, I just realised that mine has the Velcro already, but when I practice at home, guess which genius doesn't use his inner belt??? (And you call your actions lightheaded...)

That was me selling my ghost on the USPSA site.  Since Jonny Lim is here in Reno, I get to play with a lot of his gear, and found I prefered the limcat.  I was just about to buy one of his holsters, when he memntioned that anyone that beat him at the last steel challenge match in Carson City would get a free holster, so I held off buying one until after the match.  Since I squeaked by him, I got the holster for free.  The reason I prefer the Limcat is that I could never get the holster in the right position for a smooth draw, and be able to unlock it.  On the new limcat, in 20 minutes I had in mounted on my belt, and perfectly adjusted.  I also buggered up the hole on the new grip on my limited gun, and was unable to fully realize the security on the ghost I had on the old grip.  

Hi Austin,

yeah,especially those new fangled plastic guns,eh? :-}

Pain in the backside. I've been trying to serrate the bottom of the trigger guard and the gun (STI) I have has a Ghost hole in it too. This hole too has been well and truly widened, let's say, by a lot of draws and replaces, a lot of them not quite spot on the money. Don't think anything will take that kind of abuse, let alone a plastic shell...

Chris, yea the plastic frames took some getting used to, but now I can't go back.  On the ghost hole, well, operater error on my part put the hole about 1/16" too far down the face of the trigger guard.  It worked ok, but I did not have confidence in it.  If I hadn't split the first grip, and screwed up the second, I might have kept the ghost.  Also, you mention the wear issue.  I wonder if their are any larger pins for the ghost holster.  

Well Icer, I have yet to really destroy the SV.  I just replaced the entire topend, the trigger, all the springs, the magwell, the sear, and the grip frame.  All else is still original Ramos-irific!! :) The springfield was BO before I ever received it, and as for th Glocks, Pefection my eye!  You have to remember that I am a miner.  If my wrapwrench and single jack can't fix it, it just wont last!  Are you shooting tomorrow?  

Austin---

I'll be there.......been practicing draws and mag changes like a madman.......

Buying your way into Master????? Come up and I'll show you some of that Glock perfection......;)

Remember......Speed only kills if you ain't fast!

• 1 month later...