Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S1050 not giving repeatable measurements on 223 prep

Relatively new reloader having issues on caliber changeover and need some sage advice.  

Recently finished about 25k 9mm rounds and decided to prep some 223 for 3 gun.  Not looking for precision ammo but do expect good quality range ammo.

When trying to set up the first toolhead (prep stage) I have the following:

Station 1 - decap die

Station 2 - Suager

Station 5 - sizer and case trimmer w RT1500.

I'm working with mixed range brass and not sorting it.  I'm experiencing wide variances .010 ranges without rhyme or reason.  Here are the "asks"

1. What is an acceptable variance for unsorted mixed brass?

2. What are the longest and shortest measurements I should strive for?

* measured 10 spent casings which measured between .03 to .05 on RCBS Precision MIC.  My reloading partners measurements were .02 to -.01.  SAMI measures -.01 on our gauge

3.  Are there any tips for adjusting the S1050 so measurements are repeatable?

The struggle is real and frustrating.  If the measurements were consistent I could dial this in but it's just not making sense.

Guidance from the community would be much appreciated.

are we talking sizing or trim length?

mixed brass from multiple guns?

A case that is shorter than your trim length will still be short.

A case fired from a tight chamber will size differently than a case fired in a loose chamber.

Mixed brass is going to very more . Than brass of the same head stamp fired from one gun.

I process mixed range brass. Your setup is a compromise. If it fits in a JP drop gauge its good .

For all my guns . There are a few tricks to help but what depends on your issue.

Edited by AHI

For case prep on the S1050 I use a full length size die in station 1 rather than just a decap die.  I do this so there is consistent pressure on the shell plate when the case is sized in the trim die.   I'm not sure how much this helps but I've never had variations in case length great as you are getting.   

4 hours ago, pmiya said:

For case prep on the S1050 I use a full length size die in station 1 rather than just a decap die.  I do this so there is consistent pressure on the shell plate when the case is sized in the trim die.   I'm not sure how much this helps but I've never had variations in case length great as you are getting.   

It helps a lot. on my processing head . and is one of the tricks I was referring to .  another is a tool head with a decapitating die and sewage hold down only.

Yes that means 3 trips through the press . but it helps with consistently when using  mixed brass.

11 hours ago, SnipTheDog said:

I want a decapitating die...

You know when you use one of those auto correct/talk to text    you get   well you know

some weird words now and then.

Edited by AHI