Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Die setup for 358 bullets in 9mm sw929

mwx40x40

I’m sure this has been covered before, but my search foo is weak.

Anyway, for those loading .357/.358 Bullets in 9mm for 929 Revolver are you using regular 9mm dies? Or, a combination of 38/38 short dies with 9 dies?

Use everything 9mm if you have a 929 irrespective of bullet diameters.  .355 through .358 can be adjusted for.  .358 bullets will require a bit more flare of the case mouth and it may need a bit less Taper Crimp.  Other than that use the 9mm stuff.

To add to your confusion you can use 38 short colts in the 929 even.  With or without the 38 short colt sizing die.

I think it was Ty Hamby who posted a very long thread on the 929 and using 38 short colt using 38 starline brass sized 627 moon clips.  Seems it worked great.  But I seem to remember that the resizing issue "might" be a problem with re-using in a 627.

To this end I tried a handful of 38 short colts sized in a 9mm die and shot them through my 627.  Remember the brass had NOT been shot in a 9mm chamber, but the 9mm sizing die did size the case down.  I then reloaded them and shot them in my 627 with no issues.

I was wondering if firing in a 929 9mm cylinder would change that results though.

Are these going to be coated bullets?  If so,  as stated by others, be sure to bell enough to insure your not shaving the coating off.  You will also note that you get a little more coke bottling of the case which should not cause you any issues..

12 hours ago, jmax said:

Powder dies in my Dillon have different dimensions, .352” for 9mm and .354” for the 38/357 die, something to consider.

And even with 38 short colt most of us are using the 9mm powder drop tube, due to the case height issue, with no problems.

Edited by pskys2