Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger MKIII 22/45 rear sight options?

Peterock

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I looked at modding the rear sight on my MK3 for a while and decided that the Volquartsen rear was the way to go. I HATE 3 dot sights for competition. I love the flat back and shape of the volquartsen. With a Dawson front it’s good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It does seem the rear sight options for any model 22/45 are limited. I bought a MKIV 22/45 Lite in January and I'm looking at taking an extra rear sight I bought from Volquartsen's eBay store to a machine shop and have them cut it to .125 width and also cut it deeper. Right now it's .110 wide and it's the new style. I've got a Dawson .100 wide front sight on it. The old style MKIV rear sight was supposedly .125 wide. I don't think it will fit the MKIII.   

I was shooting a Beretta Neos with a .125 wide front sight. The rear sight blade is plastic so I filed it and ended up at .155 wide and also ended up filing it deeper as well. I compared both guns recently shooting a plate rack and I'm more consistently accurate with the Neos sight setup. Hopefully getting more air gap around the front sight will help. The Ruger rear sight notches are just too narrow and short. 

Volquartsen lists their rear sight as .110 wide. 

I'm going to try and get it done next week so I'll post my thoughts on it when I get a chance to shoot it.  

E-Bay has take off New Rear Sights for the Mark Series coming off of the New Mark IVs.  They run about $40.  I just ordered one.  I like the sight picture better than the original Ruger Rear Sight.  I have a Williams Fire Sight for the front.