Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer stuck on depcappping pin

flycaster

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

For those of you who are decapping and NOT sizing on the same die, when do you size?

I'm new to the RL1100 and am getting primers sucked back into the primer pocket with my Dillon die.  I'm thinking of switching to my Lee decapping/sizing die but I wonder how it will work since it's not radiused.  When I did this in .40 cal on my 550 press I crushed a lot of cases because the case didn't line up with the die perfectly.

If I try a FW Arms or Mighty Armory decapper, then when do you size??

Station 3. Remove your Swage hold down due and replaced it with your sizing due. Your MBF powder funnel will do the belling/flaring of the case.

On 6/19/2021 at 5:44 AM, Cuz said:

For those of you who are decapping and NOT sizing on the same die, when do you size?

I'm new to the RL1100 and am getting primers sucked back into the primer pocket with my Dillon die.  I'm thinking of switching to my Lee decapping/sizing die but I wonder how it will work since it's not radiused.  When I did this in .40 cal on my 550 press I crushed a lot of cases because the case didn't line up with the die perfectly.

If I try a FW Arms or Mighty Armory decapper, then when do you size??

I use the Lee decapping/sizing die on multiple 1100 tool heads. I seldom have a problem with the case not lining up perfectly. Perhaps once per thousand at the very most. Probably much less than that. 

I have had alignment issues using the Lee die on a 650 as it seems to be less precise.  Careful tuning has pretty much solved that problem.

1100 not a big deal.

4 hours ago, ddc said:

I use the Lee decapping/sizing die on multiple 1100 tool heads. I seldom have a problem with the case not lining up perfectly. Perhaps once per thousand at the very most. Probably much less than that. 

I have had alignment issues using the Lee die on a 650 as it seems to be less precise.  Careful tuning has pretty much solved that problem.

1100 not a big deal.

I'll see how the "modified" decapping pin works on the Dillon die, and if it gives me problems I'll try the Lee die.

Although, if I'm back to jacketed bullets, I think I'll want to go back to using the Lee Factory Crimp Die as I liked that, then, I may as well also put in the Lee seating die, because that was much easier to adjust...

So many dies, so little time...

:)